Delta to Offer Free iMessage, WhatsApp and More on Hundreds of Planes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Wow, this is a very cool move from Delta — and, uhh, it couldn’t have come at a better time. Beginning this Sunday, October 1, the carrier will offer free messaging on all of its Gogo-equipped planes.
Passengers will be able to chat with their friends, clients and loved ones for free using iMessage, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger. Only text is supported — so don’t expect to be able to send pics of your in-flight meal — but it’s easy to get set up:
Of course, this is a win-win — messaging uses very little bandwidth, so the cost to Delta and Gogo is minimal. However, the benefit to customers can be tremendous, especially when it comes to coordinating pickups and other post-flight plans.
Delta’s currently in the process of upgrading much of its fleet with Gogo’s much-improved 2Ku satellite connectivity, with 200 planes already flying with the new tech. A total of 600 Delta planes are expected to be equipped with 2Ku within the next two years.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.