Delta to Offer Free iMessage, WhatsApp and More on Hundreds of Planes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Wow, this is a very cool move from Delta — and, uhh, it couldn’t have come at a better time. Beginning this Sunday, October 1, the carrier will offer free messaging on all of its Gogo-equipped planes.
Passengers will be able to chat with their friends, clients and loved ones for free using iMessage, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger. Only text is supported — so don’t expect to be able to send pics of your in-flight meal — but it’s easy to get set up:
Of course, this is a win-win — messaging uses very little bandwidth, so the cost to Delta and Gogo is minimal. However, the benefit to customers can be tremendous, especially when it comes to coordinating pickups and other post-flight plans.
Delta’s currently in the process of upgrading much of its fleet with Gogo’s much-improved 2Ku satellite connectivity, with 200 planes already flying with the new tech. A total of 600 Delta planes are expected to be equipped with 2Ku within the next two years.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.