This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Wow, this is a very cool move from Delta — and, uhh, it couldn’t have come at a better time. Beginning this Sunday, October 1, the carrier will offer free messaging on all of its Gogo-equipped planes.
Passengers will be able to chat with their friends, clients and loved ones for free using iMessage, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger. Only text is supported — so don’t expect to be able to send pics of your in-flight meal — but it’s easy to get set up:
Of course, this is a win-win — messaging uses very little bandwidth, so the cost to Delta and Gogo is minimal. However, the benefit to customers can be tremendous, especially when it comes to coordinating pickups and other post-flight plans.
Delta’s currently in the process of upgrading much of its fleet with Gogo’s much-improved 2Ku satellite connectivity, with 200 planes already flying with the new tech. A total of 600 Delta planes are expected to be equipped with 2Ku within the next two years.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards