This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Wow, this is a very cool move from Delta — and, uhh, it couldn’t have come at a better time. Beginning this Sunday, October 1, the carrier will offer free messaging on all of its Gogo-equipped planes.
Passengers will be able to chat with their friends, clients and loved ones for free using iMessage, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger. Only text is supported — so don’t expect to be able to send pics of your in-flight meal — but it’s easy to get set up:
Of course, this is a win-win — messaging uses very little bandwidth, so the cost to Delta and Gogo is minimal. However, the benefit to customers can be tremendous, especially when it comes to coordinating pickups and other post-flight plans.
Delta’s currently in the process of upgrading much of its fleet with Gogo’s much-improved 2Ku satellite connectivity, with 200 planes already flying with the new tech. A total of 600 Delta planes are expected to be equipped with 2Ku within the next two years.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees