This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Saturday, September 30, an Air France A380 flying from Paris (CDG) to Los Angeles (LAX) was forced to make an emergency landing when one of its four engines blew out while over the Atlantic Ocean.
Passengers aboard Air France flight 66 reported hearing a loud thud and then a lot of vibration immediately after the engine failed. Photos and video posted on social media show a chunk of the engine cowling apparently gone.
The airline confirmed via Twitter that the plane was diverting to Goose Bay, Canada (YYR) for what it called “technical checks.”
Fortunately, the Airbus landed safely at Goose Bay at about 1:40pm local time with no injuries among the passengers or crew. Data from FlightRadar24 shows the diverted flight path of the aircraft.
We will update this story as we receive further information and images.
H/T: CBC News
Featured image by Martin Brand via Twitter.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards