This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re a US citizen and have been planning a trip to Cuba, you might want to hold off. The US State Department is ordering all nonemergency staff to leave Cuba and warning Americans against traveling to the Caribbean nation, after a string of mysterious attacks against US diplomats.
The attacks involved strange sounds of unknown origin and have left Embassy staff sick, sometimes with serious consequences. US and Cuban investigators still haven’t determined the source of the attacks, according to officials.
Although no American travelers have been harmed, the US government said in the warning issued on Friday that “because our personnel’s safety is at risk, and we are unable to identify the source of the attacks, we believe US citizens may also be at risk and warn them not to travel to Cuba.”
The decision doesn’t end US diplomatic relations with Cuba, which were restored in late 2014. However, the embassy is losing more than 60 percent of its personnell and will stop issuing visas in Cuba effective immediately.
This update follows the travel warning for Cuba issued on September 13 following Hurricane Irma. US citizens in Cuba still in need of emergency assistance shouldn’t attempt to go to the U.S. Embassy Havana at this time as it suffered severe damage, but instead contact the Embassy or Department of State by telephone.
Featured image by Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees