This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s no doubt that Global Entry is one of the best ways to get through customs when entering the borders of the US. And even though there are several credit cards that cover the fee to get Global Entry or TSA PreCheck, some frequent travelers don’t have it. If you’re not willing (or don’t have the time) to go through the application and interview process or if you don’t want to pay the fee, luckily for you, there are other options.
Of course, you could stand in the “normal” — and often much, much longer — line. But if you don’t want to do that, keep in mind these free alternatives:
- Mobile Passport is available to US citizens with a valid US passport and Canadian citizens with a valid passport and B1 or B2 visa status. It’s a free app and service that allows you to fill out your information on your phone and proceed through a designated (and often much shorter) line. It’s currently available at 24 airports and one cruise port in the US.
- Miami International Airport‘s official app, MIA Airport Official, has its own version of a mobile CBP process. US and Canadian citizens are allowed to use it when arriving on an international flight to MIA. It’s free of charge and requires you to input your passport information in order to get expedited screening.
It’ll be interesting in the coming months to see if there are more options for expedited entry back into US borders. In the interim, these (and Global Entry) remain great options for travelers entering US borders rather than waiting in line.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees