Tip: Get Expedited Access to the US Without Global Entry
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s no doubt that Global Entry is one of the best ways to get through customs when entering the borders of the US. And even though there are several credit cards that cover the fee to get Global Entry or TSA PreCheck, some frequent travelers don’t have it. If you’re not willing (or don’t have the time) to go through the application and interview process or if you don’t want to pay the fee, luckily for you, there are other options.
Of course, you could stand in the “normal” — and often much, much longer — line. But if you don’t want to do that, keep in mind these free alternatives:
- Mobile Passport is available to US citizens with a valid US passport and Canadian citizens with a valid passport and B1 or B2 visa status. It’s a free app and service that allows you to fill out your information on your phone and proceed through a designated (and often much shorter) line. It’s currently available at 24 airports and one cruise port in the US.
- Miami International Airport‘s official app, MIA Airport Official, has its own version of a mobile CBP process. US and Canadian citizens are allowed to use it when arriving on an international flight to MIA. It’s free of charge and requires you to input your passport information in order to get expedited screening.
It’ll be interesting in the coming months to see if there are more options for expedited entry back into US borders. In the interim, these (and Global Entry) remain great options for travelers entering US borders rather than waiting in line.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.