Tip: Get Expedited Access to the US Without Global Entry
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s no doubt that Global Entry is one of the best ways to get through customs when entering the borders of the US. And even though there are several credit cards that cover the fee to get Global Entry or TSA PreCheck, some frequent travelers don’t have it. If you’re not willing (or don’t have the time) to go through the application and interview process or if you don’t want to pay the fee, luckily for you, there are other options.
Of course, you could stand in the “normal” — and often much, much longer — line. But if you don’t want to do that, keep in mind these free alternatives:
- Mobile Passport is available to US citizens with a valid US passport and Canadian citizens with a valid passport and B1 or B2 visa status. It’s a free app and service that allows you to fill out your information on your phone and proceed through a designated (and often much shorter) line. It’s currently available at 24 airports and one cruise port in the US.
- Miami International Airport‘s official app, MIA Airport Official, has its own version of a mobile CBP process. US and Canadian citizens are allowed to use it when arriving on an international flight to MIA. It’s free of charge and requires you to input your passport information in order to get expedited screening.
It’ll be interesting in the coming months to see if there are more options for expedited entry back into US borders. In the interim, these (and Global Entry) remain great options for travelers entering US borders rather than waiting in line.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees