Tip: Get Expedited Access to the US Without Global Entry
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s no doubt that Global Entry is one of the best ways to get through customs when entering the borders of the US. And even though there are several credit cards that cover the fee to get Global Entry or TSA PreCheck, some frequent travelers don’t have it. If you’re not willing (or don’t have the time) to go through the application and interview process or if you don’t want to pay the fee, luckily for you, there are other options.
Of course, you could stand in the “normal” — and often much, much longer — line. But if you don’t want to do that, keep in mind these free alternatives:
- Mobile Passport is available to US citizens with a valid US passport and Canadian citizens with a valid passport and B1 or B2 visa status. It’s a free app and service that allows you to fill out your information on your phone and proceed through a designated (and often much shorter) line. It’s currently available at 24 airports and one cruise port in the US.
- Miami International Airport‘s official app, MIA Airport Official, has its own version of a mobile CBP process. US and Canadian citizens are allowed to use it when arriving on an international flight to MIA. It’s free of charge and requires you to input your passport information in order to get expedited screening.
It’ll be interesting in the coming months to see if there are more options for expedited entry back into US borders. In the interim, these (and Global Entry) remain great options for travelers entering US borders rather than waiting in line.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees