Fly Through Immigration With MIA’s Updated App
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers traveling through Miami International Airport (MIA) now have a new way to get through the US Customs and Border Protection process upon their return to the US much faster — and simpler. The airport announced the new feature of its official app, MIA Airport Official, Thursday at a press conference along with US Customs and Border Control agents.
At first glance, the app itself looks very similar to that of Mobile Passport. However, this is MIA-specific — the south Florida gateway is the first airport in the world to introduce such an option for travelers to use directly from its app. Best of all, the feature is free to use.
The new service, which is available for US citizens and Canadian visitors, is integrated in the existing app as its own passport feature. To use it, you’ll need to download the MIA Airport Official app. Once it’s been downloaded, the home page of the app has a box of text for Mobile Passport Control. Click the Tap to Start option.
From there, you’ll have to acknowledge a disclaimer from the US CBP in order to advance. Once you accept, you’ll be prompted to add travelers to the app.
You can choose to input traveler information manually or by scanning your passport. As a test, I chose the manual option and it asked for all the basic questions you’re normally asked when filling out a customs form — name, gender, date of birth, passport information.
Once your profile has been created, you’ll be asked to take a picture of yourself. Finally, you’ll be asked the CBP questions you’re normally asked when reentering the country — what you’re bringing back with you, if you’re declaring anything, etc.
This is a great add from the Miami Airport. The app’s new feature is very easy to use and offers travelers a great opportunity to avoid the “normal” immigration line in favor of something that’s free, quick and paperless. We hope other airports follow suit and introduce similar technology.
Featured image courtesy of Miami International Airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees