Qantas Plans Significant Upgrades to A380 Cabin
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qantas has quite the plans these days. After declaring yesterday that it wants to operate a nonstop flight from Sydney (SYD) to New York (JFK) even though the technology doesn’t exist yet, the biggest Australian airline has also announced a major overhaul of its A380 cabins.
Due to an increase in demand for premium cabin options, the airline plans to remove 30 economy seats from the upper deck and some crew workstations, replacing them with six more business class seats and 25 more premium economy seats. It will increase the overall amount of seats on the aircraft by 1 to 485 and grow the premium economy cabin by 27%.
The project will affect 12 of the 22 A380s Qantas owns. Furthermore, it will be upgrading its current business class seats to the latest version of Qantas Business Suites — bringing the total to 70 lie-flat seats. These are more private suites compared to the current Skybeds.
New premium economy seats, which are 10% larger then the ones they will replace, will be laid out in a 2-3-2 configuration — with 60 premium economy seats total.
With the extra space from removing the crew areas the A380 will get a larger lounge area, designed by David Caon. The entire upper deck will now cater to premium passengers, with the lounge, business and premium economy cabins using all the space.
The economy cabin will receive upgraded seats with new cushions and in-flight entertainment.
And for those lucky enough to enjoy Qantas first class, they’ll see minor upgrades to their suite with new cushioning, bedding and bigger, higher-res IFE screens.
Don’t hold your breath though, as the renovations aren’t expected to begin until the second quarter of 2019 with the upgrades being completed by the end of 2020. Qantas flies its superjumbo A380s only on select routes, with US departures from Los Angeles to Melbourne (MEL) and Sydney (SYD) and between Dallas (DFW) and Sydney (SYD).
“We’re seeing increased demand for Premium Economy and Business Class on the long haul routes that the A380 operates,” said Qantas CEO Alan Joyce in a statement. “Including from people using their Qantas points to upgrade. When more travelers experience these new seats, we expect that demand will keep rising.”
There a couple of ways to book an award seat on a Qantas A380. Since they are part of the Oneworld alliance you can use American miles, with one-way tickets starting at 110,000 miles in first, 80,000 miles in business and 40,000 miles in economy. You can also book with Alaska miles or British Airways Avios.
Featured image by Qantas.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees