This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sometimes getting away with the one you love doesn’t take a flight across the Atlantic or a trek to the Maldives. In fact, some of the most romantic destinations happen to be in our own back yard. US News & World Report released its rankings of the country’s most romantic getaways on Thursday. US News gathered user votes and expert opinions to come up with its list of the 12 most romantic US destinations, taking into account ambiance, privacy and access to couple-friendly activities.
1. Napa Valley, California
While Napa has long been known as a paradise for wine enthusiasts, it’s also become an ideal vacation destination for everyone. Between its rolling hills and extravagant estates, there’s plenty to find romantic about Napa. The ambiance box is surely checked off when it comes to US News’ criteria, especially with luxury resorts scattered throughout the region. And, to add to its reputation as a romantic getaway, Napa also ranks No. 1 as the best honeymoon destination in the US.
2. Kauai, Hawaii
Kauai’s pristine beaches and calm way of life earn it the No. 2 spot on the list of the most romantic getaways in the US. This one shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise, as the quaint island is free of many of the tourist traps that you’ll see on other islands, which really helps with its ambiance and privacy. There’s no shortage of couple-friendly activities, either. From walks on the island’s black sand beach to hiking some of its many paths, there’s something for when it’s time to relax and when it’s time to adventure.
3. Maui, Hawaii
Kauai’s sister island Maui follows it on the list of the most romantic getaways. As US News notes, while it’s not as quiet as Kauai, it offers those looking for a getaway a little bit of everything. Here, couples can take part in activities from Hawaiian luaus at resorts to snorkeling in some of its crystal-clear waters. Those looking for the ultimate scenic views can take a drive on the Road to Hana, while on the more active days, you can try golfing on some of its award-winning courses. Maui also ranks at No. 1 in US News’ best relaxing getaways in the US and best luxury destinations in the US.
4. Charleston, South Carolina
Number 4 on the best romantic getaways list brings us to the East Coast. The charm of Charleston stems from its centuries-old mansions and romantic Spanish moss trees around the city. Horse-drawn carriages make their way around the streets and gas-lit street lamps make for a romantic aura around the city — both day and night. If you’re looking for a bit of both worlds — quaint bed and breakfasts and points and miles hotels — Charleston is a great getaway. Plus, the history in the city is bountiful enough to keep anyone riveted.
5. Savannah, Georgia
Much like Charleston, the Spanish moss-filled streets of Savannah are picturesque enough for any romantic getaway. At every corner of the city, you’ll find a bit of history to awe at. Its culinary scene is booming — whether you’re looking for Southern fried food or fine cuisine. And, it’s affordable. Savannah ranks as the No. 1 city for a cheap romantic getaway according to US News.
6. Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Majestic Cape Cod takes the No. 6 spot on US News’ list. The peninsula offers everything from sweeping sand dunes on the Atlantic coast to art galleries at its Northernmost tip in Provincetown. The entire Cape could take days to explore and get acquainted with. There’s a laid back feel to the Cape, allowing those on a getaway the opportunity to kick back and enjoy the views and beachy vibes — and the seafood.
Rounding out the top 12 best destinations are:
7. St. Augustine, Florida
8. Lana’i, Hawaii
9. Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts
10. Big Sur, California
11. Santa Barbara, California
12. Aspen, Colorado
Featured image by OJO Images via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees