These Are the Best Romantic Destinations in the US, According to US News & World Report
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sometimes getting away with the one you love doesn’t take a flight across the Atlantic or a trek to the Maldives. In fact, some of the most romantic destinations happen to be in our own back yard. US News & World Report released its rankings of the country’s most romantic getaways on Thursday. US News gathered user votes and expert opinions to come up with its list of the 12 most romantic US destinations, taking into account ambiance, privacy and access to couple-friendly activities.
1. Napa Valley, California
While Napa has long been known as a paradise for wine enthusiasts, it’s also become an ideal vacation destination for everyone. Between its rolling hills and extravagant estates, there’s plenty to find romantic about Napa. The ambiance box is surely checked off when it comes to US News’ criteria, especially with luxury resorts scattered throughout the region. And, to add to its reputation as a romantic getaway, Napa also ranks No. 1 as the best honeymoon destination in the US.
2. Kauai, Hawaii
Kauai’s pristine beaches and calm way of life earn it the No. 2 spot on the list of the most romantic getaways in the US. This one shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise, as the quaint island is free of many of the tourist traps that you’ll see on other islands, which really helps with its ambiance and privacy. There’s no shortage of couple-friendly activities, either. From walks on the island’s black sand beach to hiking some of its many paths, there’s something for when it’s time to relax and when it’s time to adventure.
3. Maui, Hawaii
Kauai’s sister island Maui follows it on the list of the most romantic getaways. As US News notes, while it’s not as quiet as Kauai, it offers those looking for a getaway a little bit of everything. Here, couples can take part in activities from Hawaiian luaus at resorts to snorkeling in some of its crystal-clear waters. Those looking for the ultimate scenic views can take a drive on the Road to Hana, while on the more active days, you can try golfing on some of its award-winning courses. Maui also ranks at No. 1 in US News’ best relaxing getaways in the US and best luxury destinations in the US.
4. Charleston, South Carolina
Number 4 on the best romantic getaways list brings us to the East Coast. The charm of Charleston stems from its centuries-old mansions and romantic Spanish moss trees around the city. Horse-drawn carriages make their way around the streets and gas-lit street lamps make for a romantic aura around the city — both day and night. If you’re looking for a bit of both worlds — quaint bed and breakfasts and points and miles hotels — Charleston is a great getaway. Plus, the history in the city is bountiful enough to keep anyone riveted.
5. Savannah, Georgia
Much like Charleston, the Spanish moss-filled streets of Savannah are picturesque enough for any romantic getaway. At every corner of the city, you’ll find a bit of history to awe at. Its culinary scene is booming — whether you’re looking for Southern fried food or fine cuisine. And, it’s affordable. Savannah ranks as the No. 1 city for a cheap romantic getaway according to US News.
6. Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Majestic Cape Cod takes the No. 6 spot on US News’ list. The peninsula offers everything from sweeping sand dunes on the Atlantic coast to art galleries at its Northernmost tip in Provincetown. The entire Cape could take days to explore and get acquainted with. There’s a laid back feel to the Cape, allowing those on a getaway the opportunity to kick back and enjoy the views and beachy vibes — and the seafood.
Rounding out the top 12 best destinations are:
7. St. Augustine, Florida
8. Lana’i, Hawaii
9. Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts
10. Big Sur, California
11. Santa Barbara, California
12. Aspen, Colorado
Featured image by OJO Images via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.