These Are the Best Romantic Destinations in the US, According to US News & World Report
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sometimes getting away with the one you love doesn’t take a flight across the Atlantic or a trek to the Maldives. In fact, some of the most romantic destinations happen to be in our own back yard. US News & World Report released its rankings of the country’s most romantic getaways on Thursday. US News gathered user votes and expert opinions to come up with its list of the 12 most romantic US destinations, taking into account ambiance, privacy and access to couple-friendly activities.
1. Napa Valley, California
While Napa has long been known as a paradise for wine enthusiasts, it’s also become an ideal vacation destination for everyone. Between its rolling hills and extravagant estates, there’s plenty to find romantic about Napa. The ambiance box is surely checked off when it comes to US News’ criteria, especially with luxury resorts scattered throughout the region. And, to add to its reputation as a romantic getaway, Napa also ranks No. 1 as the best honeymoon destination in the US.
2. Kauai, Hawaii
Kauai’s pristine beaches and calm way of life earn it the No. 2 spot on the list of the most romantic getaways in the US. This one shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise, as the quaint island is free of many of the tourist traps that you’ll see on other islands, which really helps with its ambiance and privacy. There’s no shortage of couple-friendly activities, either. From walks on the island’s black sand beach to hiking some of its many paths, there’s something for when it’s time to relax and when it’s time to adventure.
3. Maui, Hawaii
Kauai’s sister island Maui follows it on the list of the most romantic getaways. As US News notes, while it’s not as quiet as Kauai, it offers those looking for a getaway a little bit of everything. Here, couples can take part in activities from Hawaiian luaus at resorts to snorkeling in some of its crystal-clear waters. Those looking for the ultimate scenic views can take a drive on the Road to Hana, while on the more active days, you can try golfing on some of its award-winning courses. Maui also ranks at No. 1 in US News’ best relaxing getaways in the US and best luxury destinations in the US.
4. Charleston, South Carolina
Number 4 on the best romantic getaways list brings us to the East Coast. The charm of Charleston stems from its centuries-old mansions and romantic Spanish moss trees around the city. Horse-drawn carriages make their way around the streets and gas-lit street lamps make for a romantic aura around the city — both day and night. If you’re looking for a bit of both worlds — quaint bed and breakfasts and points and miles hotels — Charleston is a great getaway. Plus, the history in the city is bountiful enough to keep anyone riveted.
5. Savannah, Georgia
Much like Charleston, the Spanish moss-filled streets of Savannah are picturesque enough for any romantic getaway. At every corner of the city, you’ll find a bit of history to awe at. Its culinary scene is booming — whether you’re looking for Southern fried food or fine cuisine. And, it’s affordable. Savannah ranks as the No. 1 city for a cheap romantic getaway according to US News.
6. Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Majestic Cape Cod takes the No. 6 spot on US News’ list. The peninsula offers everything from sweeping sand dunes on the Atlantic coast to art galleries at its Northernmost tip in Provincetown. The entire Cape could take days to explore and get acquainted with. There’s a laid back feel to the Cape, allowing those on a getaway the opportunity to kick back and enjoy the views and beachy vibes — and the seafood.
Rounding out the top 12 best destinations are:
7. St. Augustine, Florida
8. Lana’i, Hawaii
9. Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts
10. Big Sur, California
11. Santa Barbara, California
12. Aspen, Colorado
Featured image by OJO Images via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees