10 of the Most Instagrammable Places in Florence
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s a reason why Florence is at the top of many travelers’ bucket lists — between the food, architecture, history, fashion and culture, there’s really no place else in the world like it. The next time you find yourself in the Renaissance City, make your way to these 10 remarkable places and start snapping. Sure, your Instagram followers may get a little jealous, but this highly-photogenic Italian city was made for the gram — with 16 million tourists visiting every year, the region’s popularity can’t be denied. Here are our top picks for the most Instagram-worthy spots in Firenze.
1. Ponte Vecchio
Ponte Vecchio is one of the most famous bridges in the world and there’s nothing like taking a stroll across it, set along the Arno river. Translated to Old Bridge, the stone arch bridge was the first one built in Florence and some of its shops have been there since the 13th century. Beauty and history combine here for the ultimate snap.
A post shared by 🇮🇹 Italia 🇮🇹 (@italian_places) on
2. Giardino delle rose
Is there anything more bellissima than a rose garden? Giardino delle rose overlooks the Arno river and is the ideal place to appreciate nature and sneak away from the crowds. The garden is adjacent to the Piazzale Michelangelo, so do yourself a favor and head up the hill to watch the sunset afterward. Pure bliss.
A post shared by Entrepreneur Lifestyle (@luca_monteneri) on
3. Piazza della Repubblica
Walking around this city square is almost like stepping back in time, although this historic plaza has seen a lot of changes over the last hundred years. But between the cafès, musicians and artists, the piazza bustles with energy day and night. Look for the merry-go-round, ideal for that perfect Florence Instagram picture you’ve been dreaming of.
Charming view of Piazza della Repubblica ~ Florence, Italy Photo: @marcoliuc Congrats 😍 🚩Have you ever visited this enchanting city? 🚩 A post shared by Living Europe (@living_europe) on
4. Santa Maria del Fiore/The Duomo
The Duomo, as Santa Maria del Fiore is known to locals, is likely what comes to mind when you think of Florence, namely the red tiles of Filippo Brunelleschi’s cupola. Made with more than four million bricks, it took over 140 years to build the cathedral, and this should be a must-see on your trip to the city. Take a moment to admire its beauty — and document it for your Instagram followers to see later.
5. The Statue of David
Michelangelo’s magnificent David statue resides in the Galleria dell’Accademia and fortunately, admirers are now allowed to take pictures of this iconic and historic statue — just remember to turn your flash off. No trip to Florence is complete without a visit to this gallery — it sees over a million visitors a year — and while David gets most of the shine, you’ll also find the work of other esteemed Florentine artists throughout the museum.
A post shared by Michelle Tran (@mishytran) on
6. Basilica di Santa Croce
There’s no shortage of beautiful churches in Florence and this is one of the greats. The largest Franciscan church in the world, the building of which began in 1294, it’s also the burial place of Michelangelo, Galileo and Machiavelli. Pro tip: after getting your shot, head over to All’Antico Vinaio to get one of the best panino (singular panini) you’ll ever have; it’s a short walk away and worth the detour.
A post shared by just turaj (@justturaj) on
7. Tempio Maggiore / The Great Synagogue of Florence
This magnificent Moorish-style synagogue is one of the largest in south-central Europe and dates back to 1882, although it was rebuilt and reconstructed after the Holocaust. Make sure to document this amazing part of history during your trip, and share it with your friends so they can experience its beauty, too.
A post shared by @hdedeoglu on
8. Uffizi Gallery
The Uffizi is easily one of the most spectacular art museums in the world — and certainly one of the most-visited. It’s filled with the works of Italian Renaissance artists and you could spend days here and still not be able to see and appreciate everything that the gallery holds. Be sure to stop by Botticelli’s Birth of Venus; pause to admire and then share it with your friends on Instagram.
A post shared by Por amor al viaje (@xamoralviaje) on
9. Boboli Gardens
Directly behind the Palazzo Pitti (the Royal Palace), these beautiful gardens are the perfect place to wander for an hour or three. One visit and you’ll understand why this is one of the most famous open-air museums in the world. Home to trees, fountains and sculptures, the Boboli Gardens date back to the 15th century, but make for an ideal 21st century snap.
A post shared by Exotic Gringo (Kaushal) (@exoticgringo) on
10. Gusta Pizza
This restaurant makes heart-shaped pizzas because they know people — we’re looking at you, American students studying abroad — will Instagram them. But it’s Italy after all, so of course Gusta’s wood-fired stone oven pizza is fresh and flavorful. Despite drawing in tourists, the pizzeria is a hit — on and off Instagram.
A post shared by abby leonard (@abigail.n.leonard) on
What are your favorite places to photograph in Florence? Let us know in the comments below.
Featured image by Laura Lezza/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.