Southwest Takes Delivery of Its First Boeing 737 MAX
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It appears that Southwest just became the first US airline to receive a Boeing 737 MAX aircraft. As reported by Airways Mag, the carrier’s first 737 MAX departed from Boeing Field in Seattle Tuesday morning and is expected to land at Southwest’s hub at Dallas Love Field (DAL) in the afternoon. While this is most likely the official delivery flight, given the timing and route, we’ve reached out to the airline to confirm.
The aircraft, N8710M, is expected to land at DAL at around 4:15pm CT on Tuesday afternoon. Assuming this is in fact the delivery, Southwest just became the first US-based carrier to fly Boeing’s latest 737.
According to a March blog post on the carrier’s website, Southwest plans to launch MAX service on Sunday, October 1. The aircraft will fly on the airline’s most long-standing routes — Dallas (DAL) to Houston (HOU), HOU to San Antonio (SAT) and SAT back to DAL — for that inaugural launch date.
We reached out to Southwest for confirmation that it is, in fact, taking delivery of the 737 MAX today and that it plans to offer its first revenue flight on October 1 on the aforementioned route, however, we have yet to hear back.
In total, Southwest has ordered 170 MAX 8s and 30 MAX 7s. As it takes delivery of its new MAX aircraft, it will phase out its older 737 models — the -300s and -500s.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.