British Airways IT Systems Fail Again
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For the seventh time this year, British Airways‘ IT systems failed Wednesday morning, causing disruption for thousands of passengers at London’s Heathrow (LHR) and Gatwick (LGW) airports.
— Amanda Jayne Porter (@amandajaynep123) August 2, 2017
The system causing the disruption is known as “FLY” — a ground-based system used by BA staff that processes passenger information, check-in details, baggage tracking and more. FLY was rolled out softly over the carrier’s network (meaning it was only implemented on a portion of flights initially) in an attempt to minimize disruption in case the system failed. However, after it was implemented, I experienced four flight cancellations as a direct result of FLY system failures, according to what BA ground staff told TPG.
Earlier this morning, passengers took to twitter to complain about the latest glitch, canceled flights and long lines at British Airways home at Heathrow T5.
Total chaos at Heathrow @British_Airways
— Onurr (@onurozzie) August 2, 2017
Oh no, looks like @British_Airways experiencing IT issues again. Stuck on the runway for an hour now.
— Peter Musumeci (@PeterMusumeci) August 2, 2017
It’s been about a year since FLY was initially rolled out, so now it’s the only ground-based IT system across BA’s entire network. So, when something goes wrong (and it often does), the impact is much more widespread. This is the latest episode in a string of high-profile IT failures the London-based carrier and its passengers have had to deal with. Just two months ago, BA’s IT systems failed and it led to the cancellation of around 700 flights from LHR and LGW. It was later revealed that the massive outage was caused by a worker inadvertently disconnecting a power supply.
Were you affected by BA’s latest IT failure?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees