4 Apps That’ll Make Travel Even Easier
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’re constantly being introduced to new travel apps and online tools that are designed to change our lives at the click of a button. If you want to enhance your travel experience and keep things simple on the road, consider using these apps.
Think of Turo as the Airbnb of cars — you can rent them from a rapidly growing community of local car owners or make some extra money by renting your own vehicle out to visitors. It’s all set up as an online marketplace where renters can choose from all types of vehicles, whether you’re looking to cruise with the top down in a BMW convertible or save the environment cruising around town in a Prius. The company also claims customers save an average of 35% versus using a traditional car rental company, while its nifty curbside feature allows vehicles to be delivered straight to you. The app is easy to use, you can add different levels of insurance to protect your rental and since prices are set by the individual owners, you can sometimes score a good deal from new users looking to gain positive reviews and build their rating. Available for free on iOS and Android devices.
This smart packing list app will organize what you need to pack based on the length of travel, the expected weather at your destination and any activities planned during your trip. Because, let’s face it, even the most experienced traveler makes mistakes and forgets to pack their raincoat sometimes. Packpoint realizes that each trip is different, which is why it asks you specific questions to help build a customized packing list and ensure you’re not missing anything. You can also keep it personalized by adding your own items and activities, then share it with friends to make sure everyone going has everything they need for the trip. It also allows you to connect to TripIt and Evernote so your list will appear across all your devices. Available for free for iOS and Android devices.
This app’s simple yet elegant design helps you keep track of time across multiple locations and time zones so you know exactly when your friends and colleagues around the world are available. Set your home time to stay in touch with friends and family or select specific business hours for your clients to be sure it’s not too early or late to get in touch. Circa excels in it’s simplicity and visually appealing orbicular design. Apple Watch-ready and available for iOS and Android devices for $3.99.
4. Hotspot Shield
More than 500 million users around the world trust Hotspot Shield to get secure, private and un-restricted access to the internet. If you’ve ever visited countries like China or Cuba, you know that certain websites and social media platforms can be blocked. One way to get around that is by using Hotspot Shield’s secure VPN (virtual private network) to obtain safe access to videos, games and social media sites. It won’t keep logs of your personal information or online activity so you can feel comfortable browsing the internet anonymously. As a matter of internet security, travelers should consider using this app to encrypt their personal information, whether they’re connected to Wi-Fi at home, at work or in public. Available for Windows, Windows Phone, Mac, iPhone and Android devices. Try the free version or pay a monthly fee for the Elite version (from $5.99 a month) to enjoy ad-free browsing and multi-device support. A one-time lifetime membership is also available for $119.
Are there any apps you never travel without? Tell us about them, below.
Featured image courtesy of Innocenti via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.