This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’re constantly being introduced to new travel apps and online tools that are designed to change our lives at the click of a button. If you want to enhance your travel experience and keep things simple on the road, consider using these apps.
Think of Turo as the Airbnb of cars — you can rent them from a rapidly growing community of local car owners or make some extra money by renting your own vehicle out to visitors. It’s all set up as an online marketplace where renters can choose from all types of vehicles, whether you’re looking to cruise with the top down in a BMW convertible or save the environment cruising around town in a Prius. The company also claims customers save an average of 35% versus using a traditional car rental company, while its nifty curbside feature allows vehicles to be delivered straight to you. The app is easy to use, you can add different levels of insurance to protect your rental and since prices are set by the individual owners, you can sometimes score a good deal from new users looking to gain positive reviews and build their rating. Available for free on iOS and Android devices.
This smart packing list app will organize what you need to pack based on the length of travel, the expected weather at your destination and any activities planned during your trip. Because, let’s face it, even the most experienced traveler makes mistakes and forgets to pack their raincoat sometimes. Packpoint realizes that each trip is different, which is why it asks you specific questions to help build a customized packing list and ensure you’re not missing anything. You can also keep it personalized by adding your own items and activities, then share it with friends to make sure everyone going has everything they need for the trip. It also allows you to connect to TripIt and Evernote so your list will appear across all your devices. Available for free for iOS and Android devices.
This app’s simple yet elegant design helps you keep track of time across multiple locations and time zones so you know exactly when your friends and colleagues around the world are available. Set your home time to stay in touch with friends and family or select specific business hours for your clients to be sure it’s not too early or late to get in touch. Circa excels in it’s simplicity and visually appealing orbicular design. Apple Watch-ready and available for iOS and Android devices for $3.99.
4. Hotspot Shield
More than 500 million users around the world trust Hotspot Shield to get secure, private and un-restricted access to the internet. If you’ve ever visited countries like China or Cuba, you know that certain websites and social media platforms can be blocked. One way to get around that is by using Hotspot Shield’s secure VPN (virtual private network) to obtain safe access to videos, games and social media sites. It won’t keep logs of your personal information or online activity so you can feel comfortable browsing the internet anonymously. As a matter of internet security, travelers should consider using this app to encrypt their personal information, whether they’re connected to Wi-Fi at home, at work or in public. Available for Windows, Windows Phone, Mac, iPhone and Android devices. Try the free version or pay a monthly fee for the Elite version (from $5.99 a month) to enjoy ad-free browsing and multi-device support. A one-time lifetime membership is also available for $119.
Are there any apps you never travel without? Tell us about them, below.
Featured image courtesy of Innocenti via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees