This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here: The Platinum Card® from American Express
After rolling out tipping to three US cities two weeks ago, Uber announced today that riders will be able to tip their drivers in 121 Canadian and US markets. Boston, Los Angeles, New Orleans, New York, San Francisco and Toronto are some of the major cities where the new feature is available.
Riders and drivers will have to update their Uber app to access tipping and drivers will have to agree to accept tips. Once a rider has completed a trip, they’ll have the option to tip their driver within the app.
Uber says that by the end of July, tipping will be available to all users in every US city where the company operates. Lyft, Uber’s main competitor has offered tipping for years and its drivers have reportedly received over $200 million in tips. You’ll also be able to tip through UberEATS and retroactive tipping will be available 30 days after you’ve completed a trip (only 7 days after an order with UberEATS).
The move is part of the ride-sharing company’s initiative to present a friendlier face and is part of its “180 days of change campaign.” Uber has been ridden with controversy recently, and has pulled out of major markets worldwide. The co-founder and former CEO, Travis Kalanick resigned as head of the company just two weeks ago.
If you haven’t downloaded Uber, you can sign up here to receive a $20 credit from TPG. Be sure to also sync a credit card with your Uber account so you can earn the greatest return on your ride, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve, which gives you 3x points per dollar on travel or the Platinum Card from American Express card, which offers a $200 annual Uber credit to cardholders.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards