This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, the American Express Platinum cards (both the personal and business versions) changed how cardholders earn Membership Rewards points. Amex increased the earning on the Platinum cards to 5x Membership Rewards points on airfare. However, what’s sometimes overlooked is exactly when you’ll earn those 5x points with each card.
Here’s how the earning breaks down for each of the two Platinum cards:
- The Platinum Card from American Express: Earn 5x points on airfare when booked directly with the airline OR when booked through amextravel.com.
- The Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN: Earn 5x points on airfare ONLY when booking through amextravel.com.
Note that you can’t earn those valuable 5x Membership Rewards points with the business card if you book directly with the airline. However, if you have the personal card, you have more flexibility with your airfare purchases and when you’ll earn the 5x points.
Keep in mind the difference when thinking about which to apply for and which better fits your (or your businesses) spending patterns. If you have both in your wallet, pay attention when booking airfare — be sure to use the personal if you’re purchasing directly with the airline, as the earning each offers isn’t equal.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards