Tip: Know When You’ll Get 5x Points for Airfare on the Amex Platinum Cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, the American Express Platinum cards (both the personal and business versions) changed how cardholders earn Membership Rewards points. Amex increased the earning on the Platinum cards to 5x Membership Rewards points on airfare. However, what’s sometimes overlooked is exactly when you’ll earn those 5x points with each card.
Here’s how the earning breaks down for each of the two Platinum cards:
- The Platinum Card from American Express: Earn 5x points on airfare when booked directly with the airline OR when booked through amextravel.com.
- The Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN: Earn 5x points on airfare ONLY when booking through amextravel.com.
Note that you can’t earn those valuable 5x Membership Rewards points with the business card if you book directly with the airline. However, if you have the personal card, you have more flexibility with your airfare purchases and when you’ll earn the 5x points.
Keep in mind the difference when thinking about which to apply for and which better fits your (or your businesses) spending patterns. If you have both in your wallet, pay attention when booking airfare — be sure to use the personal if you’re purchasing directly with the airline, as the earning each offers isn’t equal.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that