Tip: Know When You’ll Get 5x Points for Airfare on the Amex Platinum Cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, the American Express Platinum cards (both the personal and business versions) changed how cardholders earn Membership Rewards points. Amex increased the earning on the Platinum cards to 5x Membership Rewards points on airfare. However, what’s sometimes overlooked is exactly when you’ll earn those 5x points with each card.
Here’s how the earning breaks down for each of the two Platinum cards:
- The Platinum Card from American Express: Earn 5x points on airfare when booked directly with the airline OR when booked through amextravel.com.
- The Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN: Earn 5x points on airfare ONLY when booking through amextravel.com.
Note that you can’t earn those valuable 5x Membership Rewards points with the business card if you book directly with the airline. However, if you have the personal card, you have more flexibility with your airfare purchases and when you’ll earn the 5x points.
Keep in mind the difference when thinking about which to apply for and which better fits your (or your businesses) spending patterns. If you have both in your wallet, pay attention when booking airfare — be sure to use the personal if you’re purchasing directly with the airline, as the earning each offers isn’t equal.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees