Tip: Know When You’ll Get 5x Points for Airfare on the Amex Platinum Cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, the American Express Platinum cards (both the personal and business versions) changed how cardholders earn Membership Rewards points. Amex increased the earning on the Platinum cards to 5x Membership Rewards points on airfare. However, what’s sometimes overlooked is exactly when you’ll earn those 5x points with each card.
Here’s how the earning breaks down for each of the two Platinum cards:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: Earn 5x points on airfare when booked directly with the airline OR when booked through amextravel.com.
- The Business Platinum® Card from American Express: Earn 5x points on airfare ONLY when booking through amextravel.com.
Note that you can’t earn those valuable 5x Membership Rewards points with the business card if you book directly with the airline. However, if you have the personal card, you have more flexibility with your airfare purchases and when you’ll earn the 5x points.
Keep in mind the difference when thinking about which to apply for and which better fits your (or your businesses) spending patterns. If you have both in your wallet, pay attention when booking airfare — be sure to use the personal if you’re purchasing directly with the airline, as the earning each offers isn’t equal.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees