#TBT: Coney Island in the Roaring ’20s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fashionistas take note: Bathing suits have come a long (long) way since the early days of beach dwelling. This throwback snap from 1928 of New Yorkers wading in Brooklyn’s Coney Island beach shows just how much swimwear has evolved. Still, there’s something absolutely innocent and joyful about this photograph — indeed a reflection of simpler times. The famed Wonder Wheel in the background only adds to the cheery nostalgia on what was presumably a steamy summer day — not unlike today.
Back then, New Yorkers could flock to the Brooklyn beach for just five cents a subway ride — and flocked they did. On a hot day, beach attendance could reach as high as a million people, record numbers, no doubt. Dubbed “America’s playground,” Coney Island also happens to be the birthplace of frozen custard and roller coasters; today, it’s synonymous with Nathan’s hot dogs and the Mermaid Parade — all signs of summer. Acclaimed musicians Woody Guthrie and Ella Fitzgerald sang about the Brooklyn boardwalk and Walker Evans, the original street photographer, was one of many artists inspired by Coney Island. His well-known shot of a couple was taken the same year as the one above.
Featured image courtesy of Raymond Boyd via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.