#TBT: Coney Island in the Roaring ’20s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fashionistas take note: Bathing suits have come a long (long) way since the early days of beach dwelling. This throwback snap from 1928 of New Yorkers wading in Brooklyn’s Coney Island beach shows just how much swimwear has evolved. Still, there’s something absolutely innocent and joyful about this photograph — indeed a reflection of simpler times. The famed Wonder Wheel in the background only adds to the cheery nostalgia on what was presumably a steamy summer day — not unlike today.
Back then, New Yorkers could flock to the Brooklyn beach for just five cents a subway ride — and flocked they did. On a hot day, beach attendance could reach as high as a million people, record numbers, no doubt. Dubbed “America’s playground,” Coney Island also happens to be the birthplace of frozen custard and roller coasters; today, it’s synonymous with Nathan’s hot dogs and the Mermaid Parade — all signs of summer. Acclaimed musicians Woody Guthrie and Ella Fitzgerald sang about the Brooklyn boardwalk and Walker Evans, the original street photographer, was one of many artists inspired by Coney Island. His well-known shot of a couple was taken the same year as the one above.
Featured image courtesy of Raymond Boyd via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.