A Look at South African Airways’ New A330-300 Business-Class Seat
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
South African Airways recently placed an order for five new Airbus A330-300’s, a twin-engine long-haul aircraft. Despite the airline’s very public financial difficulty, it began introducing the new plane on its existing route network, with the new A330-300 flying from Johannesburg (JNB) to Lagos (LOS), São Paulo (GRU), Washington, DC (IAD) via Dakar (DKR) and Munich (MUC).
With the order, South African Airways, together with seat manufacturers Thompson Aerospace and London-based design consultants Priestmangoode developed a new business-class and economy cabin.
The New Seats
Each business-class seat is 79 inches in its lie-flat position, has 45 inches of pitch and features in-seat power via an international power socket as well as a USB port. These new Thompson Vantage XL seats for South African Airways are visually stunning. It’s great to see an airline using some color rather than the all-too-common grey and navy tones we usually see in long-haul products.
In terms of the interior design, the patterns, stitching and colors bring a strong presence of modern South Africa into the cabin, similar to how RwandAir features Rwandan-inspired designs in its cabin.
Let’s take a closer look at the African-inspired patterns that are being integrated into the seat design. The center part of the seat reminds me of Kuba Raffia textiles, a traditional African weaving pattern that dates back nearly 400 years. The design is a unique example of the abstract in African art and has been applied to the new A330 business-class seats.
From a practical point of view, a great new seat feature is how the in-flight entertainment screen slides out, allowing an iPad or tablet to be placed alongside it if travelers prefer to view the content on their own devices rather than opting for the supplied IFE options.
These new seats will transform the business-class cabin to a place full of design, culture and comfort — they’re comfortable, spacious and bound to be very popular with passengers. I also like the new options to place a tablet next to the IFE screen, as the bring- your-own-device trend continues to flourish.
Do you have any plans to fly on South African’s new Airbus aircraft? Let us know in the comments, below.
All photos by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees