Ben Franklin Will be Norwegian’s First American Tailfin Figure
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Norwegian Airlines revealed on Monday that a portrait of Benjamin Franklin will adorn the tail of the low-cost carrier’s new Boeing 737 MAX 8, scheduled to take flight later this year. The Founding Father will kick off Norwegian’s “American tail fin hero” series, with more to come “over the next few months,” according to a press release.
Franklin will join a busy crowd of Scandinavian and British artists, explorers, musicians and scientists that currently adorn Norwegian’s fleet. According to Chief Commercial Officer Thomas Ramdahl, “It is an honor to recognize an American founder on one of our aircraft, and this gesture also symbolizes all of the great things we have planned for Norwegian in the United States.”
The addition reflects Norwegian’s lofty goals in the Americas — the carrier’s been aggressively courting the US market since its entrance in 2012. In the past year alone it has added flights to Barcelona and Rome, announced expanded service to London and Paris, initiated transcontinental service from much smaller US markets and more. Now with 63 total routes (57 of them being transatlantic), it’s poised to become a leader in the low-cost long-haul sector. Its growth is likely to continue as Norwegian adds to its current fleet of Boeing 737 MAX 8’s, with over 100 more on order.
Featured image courtesy of Norwegian Air Shuttle.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees