Ben Franklin Will be Norwegian’s First American Tailfin Figure
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Norwegian Airlines revealed on Monday that a portrait of Benjamin Franklin will adorn the tail of the low-cost carrier’s new Boeing 737 MAX 8, scheduled to take flight later this year. The Founding Father will kick off Norwegian’s “American tail fin hero” series, with more to come “over the next few months,” according to a press release.
Franklin will join a busy crowd of Scandinavian and British artists, explorers, musicians and scientists that currently adorn Norwegian’s fleet. According to Chief Commercial Officer Thomas Ramdahl, “It is an honor to recognize an American founder on one of our aircraft, and this gesture also symbolizes all of the great things we have planned for Norwegian in the United States.”
The addition reflects Norwegian’s lofty goals in the Americas — the carrier’s been aggressively courting the US market since its entrance in 2012. In the past year alone it has added flights to Barcelona and Rome, announced expanded service to London and Paris, initiated transcontinental service from much smaller US markets and more. Now with 63 total routes (57 of them being transatlantic), it’s poised to become a leader in the low-cost long-haul sector. Its growth is likely to continue as Norwegian adds to its current fleet of Boeing 737 MAX 8’s, with over 100 more on order.
Featured image courtesy of Norwegian Air Shuttle.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.