This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue is looking to expand its presence in its home town of New York. The carrier announced today that is has plans to build itself a new terminal and possible take over another at New York’s JFK Airport.
The plans it’s developing are for a new terminal located where the former Terminal 6 once stood, which is now a vacant piece of blacktop. Not far from its current base at Terminal 5, the new JetBlue terminal is expected to open in 2020. At this point, JetBlue is looking for a partner to co-invest in the project and it’s soliciting development concepts from designers.
In addition to building its own new terminal, Steve Priest, JetBlue’s CFO, suggested to Crain’s that it could also expand to have a presence JFK’s Terminal 7, which is currently occupied by British Airways. However, at this point, that’s still far off, as the lease for T7 expires in 2022 and would depend on negotiations with British Airways and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. If it all works out, JetBlue could take up space in T7 around 2025.
“New York is our number one focus and it’s very important for us to think about our long-term plans and investment here,” Priest said. ” We have the exclusive right to develop Terminal 6 and for us it’s prime real estate.”
Ultimately, the two new terminals could give JetBlue an additional presence at JFK totaling nearly 800,000 square feet. The combined terminals would nearly equal the size of its current 29-gate space in Terminal 5.
The announcement today from Priest and JetBlue is curious, especially considering the rumors that the New York-based carrier has been eyeing transatlantic flights. At this point though, the plans are still in the developing stages and nothing will likely come of this until at least 2020. Nonetheless, it’ll be interesting to see just how much JetBlue plans to expand its presence at JFK.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that