Coming Soon: A Short Film About Bessie Coleman, the First African American Female Pilot
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The history of aviation is full of individual risk-takers, many of them — like the Wright Brothers, Amelia Earhart, Charles Lindbergh and Howard Hughes — names you know. Lesser known but even more of a game-changer was Bessie Coleman, the first African American woman to obtain her pilot’s license.
Repeatedly denied admission to American aviation schools because of her color, the Texas native had to move to France in order to achieve her dream of becoming a pilot. In the age of the Hollywood biopic, her story seems ripe for telling, yet Coleman has somehow managed to fly under the radar. Now, Sweet Blackberry, a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching kids about little known stories in African American history, is hoping to change that.
The organization recently launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise $50,000 to produce The Bessie Coleman Story, a 20-minute animated short that will be illustrated by R. Gregory Christie and narrated by Laurence Fishburne.
“I’ve wanted to tell her story for a long time, but was reluctant as there’s probably more on her than the other stories we’ve told so far,” Karyn Parsons, Sweet Blackberry’s founder and president — who you probably know as Hilary Banks from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air — told Cool Hunting of the project. “Still, I couldn’t believe how many people hadn’t heard of her.”
The proposed film is Sweet Blackberry’s fourth short; its previous award-winning efforts — which have been narrated by Chris Rock, Alfre Woodard and Queen Latifah — have been distributed to schools and libraries all around the world and are currently streaming on Netflix. According to the project’s Kickstarter page, “Bessie Coleman’s story shows children that despite what odds may be stacked against them, they can be anything. Bessie broke a glass ceiling in the United States that limited individuals wanting to be a pilot to one race and gender. It is our duty at Sweet Blackberry to share her story with the world.”
Parsons has called on her old TV family to offer up some fun perks, including an afternoon with Hilary and Ashley Banks, lunch with Will Smith, a Fresh Prince of Bel-Air watch party with the cast and a personal voicemail message courtesy of Carlton (Alfonso Ribeiro). There’s still time for you to pledge and show your support for the project on Kickstarter — as of this writing, they’ve raised $53,431 of the $50,000 goal. Way to go! Check out the video below for a closer look.
H/T: Cool Hunting
Featured image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.