This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Fly from New York (JFK) to either Zurich (ZRH) or Helsinki (HEL) on full-service Oneworld carriers from just $330 round-trip. You’ll be able to fly with American Airlines to Zurich or with partner Finnair to Helsinki on the routes, with availability extending from September through early December 2017. Some of the fares we found include a minimum stay of at least one week, but that depends on the route and carrier.
Because these are full-service airlines as opposed to low-cost carriers, you won’t have to pay for extras like checked bags, in-flight meals and more. To search for availability, play around with Google Flights to find dates that work for you and then book with Orbitz, Expedia or through the airline itself.
Airlines: American and Finnair
Routes: JFK to HEL or ZRH
Cost: $330+ round-trip
Dates: September – early December 2017
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Helsinki (HEL) for $330 round-trip in September:
New York (JFK) to Helsinki (HEL) for $330 round-trip in October:
New York (JFK) to Zurich (ZRH) for $350 round-trip in October:
New York (JFK) to Zurich (ZRH) for $350 round-trip in November:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image of Zurich courtesy of SilvanBachmann via Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards