American Airlines’ First Boeing 737 MAX Rolls Off the Assembly Line
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The first Boeing 737 took to the skies in April 9, 1967, and since then, it’s been redesigned and relaunched quite a few times. The latest iterations are the long-range and fuel efficient 737 MAX aircraft models — which have racked up a combined 3,803 orders per Boeing’s latest report. The first 737 MAX delivery was just a couple of months ago in mid-May to Asian low-cost carrier Malindo Air.
American Airlines accounts for exactly 100 of these new aircraft — with an option for 40 more — from an order placed way back in February 2013. And it looks like the first of these is nearing delivery. Yesterday, #AvGeek photographer Chris Edwards shared photos of American Airlines first 737 MAX just after it rolled off the assembly line:
This is an aircraft that has received more media attention than AA may have wanted. First, in January, the airline revealed that it wasn’t going to install in-flight entertainment screens on these aircraft, which is especially peculiar as these are designed for longer flights — Norwegian is using its 737 MAX to fly across the Atlantic. Instead, AA is relying on streaming entertainment options to passengers’ personal devices via Wi-Fi.
Then, back in early May, it was reported that its 737 MAXs would have as little as 29 inches of pitch in some rows of economy, prompting a backlash in the press and social media that led to the airline reversing this decision. Still, standard economy seats will have just 30 inches of pitch — down from the 31-inch pitch found on most of AA’s aircraft. However, the airline thankfully chose to install ViaSat Wi-Fi rather than the standard (and sometimes miserably slow) Gogo Wi-Fi that’s found on the carrier’s other 737s.
We asked AA when it expects to take delivery of this aircraft and on which routes it may operate on. While there are no firm dates yet, an airline spokesperson confirmed that this is the airline’s first of four 737 MAXs expected this year and that AA “will begin service on the MAX towards the end of the year.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees