American Airlines Reverses Decision to Install 29-Inch Pitch Seats
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, American Airlines announced its seating arrangement for its new 737 MAX. One stat that jumped out to us: 30-inch pitch throughout economy, instead of AA’s current standard of 31 inches of pitch.
But, it was going to be even worse for the 18 passengers sitting in three rows of AA’s newest aircraft type, who would get just 29 inches of pitch. This is just one inch more than what knee-crushing Spirit Airlines provides.
Today, however, we’ve gotten great news from AA. The airline has “received a lot of feedback from both customers and team members” and is reversing its decision to install seats with 29 inches of pitch. Per the airline’s memo regarding the change: “American has decided to space all Main Cabin rows with at least 30 inches of pitch.”
In the same announcement, AA reiterates its stance that the new 30-inch pitch seats won’t be that bad: “These seats are designed to make efficient use of the space available and feel more spacious so a 30 inch pitch will feel more like today’s 31 inches.”
The number of seats will remain the same on the aircraft: 172 seats. However, rather than having 16 first class, 36 Main Cabin Extra and 120 economy seats, the airline is reducing the number of extra-legroom Main Cabin Extra seats to guarantee at least 30 inches of pitch throughout the Main Cabin. The new arrangement will feature 16 seats in first class, 30 MCE and 126 economy seats, which represents a significant 17% drop in extra legroom seating.
While this is a positive development for general economy passengers, this ends up being a disappointing development for AA elites — who will have less available extra-legroom MCE seats.
AA Platinum, Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum elites will still have a pretty good shot at getting a MCE seat, as they’re able to select these seats for free at booking. However, AA Gold elites — who have the option of paying 50% of the MCE surcharge at booking or selecting available MCE seats for free at check-in — have a slimmer shot of getting a free MCE seat.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees