UAE Airspace Restriction Now Applies to Non-Qatar Airways Planes as Well
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week started off on an alarming note as several Middle Eastern countries cut diplomatic ties with the State of Qatar. An immediate impact of the move? All Qatar Airways flights were suspended from flying into or over any of the countries involved — Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates.
Since the original announcement, the UAE tightened the restrictions a bit more by threatening any Qatari sympathizers with jail time and a hefty fine. Now, the UAE is tightening those restrictions even further by banning all flights — regardless of carrier — from flying over its airspace if the aircraft is flying to or from Doha.
— GCAA UAE (@gcaa_uae) June 8, 2017
As of this writing, the UAE is the only country implementing such a hard policy on all flights operating through Doha. A number of flights within the region will be impacted because of this move. As One Mile at a Time points out, Oman Air’s flight from Muscat (MCT) to Doha (DOH) used to be able to fly over UAE airspace.
Now, the carrier is forced to go around the country’s borders to avoid its airspace.
Overall, this news is sure to make an impact on flights in the region. It’ll be interesting to see how airlines respond and if the UAE continues to expand these restrictions any further, or if any other countries follow suit.
Featured image courtesy of Geography Photos via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees