UAE Airspace Restriction Now Applies to Non-Qatar Airways Planes as Well
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week started off on an alarming note as several Middle Eastern countries cut diplomatic ties with the State of Qatar. An immediate impact of the move? All Qatar Airways flights were suspended from flying into or over any of the countries involved — Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates.
Since the original announcement, the UAE tightened the restrictions a bit more by threatening any Qatari sympathizers with jail time and a hefty fine. Now, the UAE is tightening those restrictions even further by banning all flights — regardless of carrier — from flying over its airspace if the aircraft is flying to or from Doha.
— GCAA UAE (@gcaa_uae) June 8, 2017
As of this writing, the UAE is the only country implementing such a hard policy on all flights operating through Doha. A number of flights within the region will be impacted because of this move. As One Mile at a Time points out, Oman Air’s flight from Muscat (MCT) to Doha (DOH) used to be able to fly over UAE airspace.
Now, the carrier is forced to go around the country’s borders to avoid its airspace.
Overall, this news is sure to make an impact on flights in the region. It’ll be interesting to see how airlines respond and if the UAE continues to expand these restrictions any further, or if any other countries follow suit.
Featured image courtesy of Geography Photos via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.