TSA Agents Find Massive Lobster in Checked Baggage
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Though the TSA bans fireworks, grain alcohol and even e-cigarettes from checked bags, live lobsters apparently get a pass. That was the case at Boston‘s Logan International Airport (BOS) on Monday when agents stumbled upon a massive lobster during their routine bag screenings.
The 20-pound crustacean was tucked away in a cooler with its claws safely rubber-banded shut. And while the agents took some hilarious photos with their spiny companion, they ended up allowing the lobster to pass through to its final destination. Scenes like that are common in seafood-loving New England, where TSA spokesman Michael McCarthy says agents regularly find lobster luggage. This one, however, was far larger than the average shellfish, McCarthy told NPR.
“I would be shocked if this isn’t the biggest lobster TSA has screened, although I can’t say for certain,” the TSA spokesman said.
If you’re interested in bringing a live lobster on your next flight (and who isn’t?) make sure to follow TSA guidelines: Transport it in a clear, plastic, spill-proof container. Don’t even think about carry-on.
Featured photo courtesy of Michael McCarthy via Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees