Inside Marriott’s Secret Hotel Room Design Bunker
To describe the facade of Marriott’s current headquarters as “nondescript” would be generous — this building’s as boring as they come. In fact, it’s so ordinary-looking that it didn’t even occur to me to snap a picture when TPG and I visited earlier this week.
Inside, it’s a different story — well, sort of. You’ll find row upon row of open-office workstations, but there’s also a funky treadmill-desk meeting room and an impressive test kitchen where chefs prep multi-course meals for the chain’s top bigwigs.
But the real fun is in the basement — well, actually, one level below that. It’s where you’ll find Marriott’s Interior Design Innovation Lab and its master of ceremonies, Vice President of Design Deborah Huguely.
It’s in this 9,000-square-foot space that Marriott develops concept and prototype guest rooms for each of its 30 hotel brands (including those inherited from Starwood). I’ll walk you through a few of the rooms on display, but the lab’s greatest innovation is something Marriott calls “the igloo” — an enclosed 360-degree virtual reality room that makes it possible to experience a variety of spaces, from an individual suite to a new and improved hotel lobby. It’s like walking inside an Oculus Rift — the igloo is really a hoot.
Then, down the hall, you can actually see these designs come to life, in the many sample rooms.
Most of the rooms are fully assembled, but our first stop was a Sheraton room still under construction.
Then, TPG got to hang out in a Four Points room — definitely looks like a big step up from what you may experience at many of the brand’s out-of-date hotels!
Our next stop was a Delta Hotels room — Marriott’s recent(ish) Canadian acquisition.
Then we got to see a swanky AC Hotels room — it certainly made me eager to give that brand a try.
TPG even got to do his famous “shower test” to see if his 6’7″ frame would fit inside. Success!
Finally, we stopped by Springhill Suites, a brand that TPG became very familiar with during his childhood. It’s certainly come a long way.
Then, at the end of the space is a sample Marriott Experience Room, designed to represent the “experience” a customer will have in any given hotel room. You’ll notice that this certainly doesn’t look like your typical Marriott Hotel room — check out TPG’s walkthrough below:
What’s next for Marriott HQ? Fortunately for the company and its employees, Marriott’s in the process of building a fancy new headquarters just a few miles down the road. Hopefully the suite of sample rooms will be coming along, too.
Which Marriott brand are you most familiar with?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees