Fire in Terminal 4 at New York’s JFK Airport Causes Partial Shutdown
Part of Terminal 4 at New York’s JFK Airport was evacuated and shut down this afternoon after a grease fire at a restaurant inside the terminal sent smoke throughout its corridors. According to reports, the fire broke out at a Panda Express in the terminal, and since the initial reports, the airport has closed the security checkpoint and departure level.
#JFK Terminal 4 had a restaurant fire. The security checkpoint and departure level is closed. 
— Kennedy Airport (@JFKairport) June 29, 2017
The FDNY acknowledged the fire and reported that they were responding on Twitter.
FDNYalerts QNS ALL HANDS JFK, (JFK AIRPORT) GREASE FIRE,
— FDNYalerts (@FDNYAlerts) June 29, 2017
Scenes that are coming out of the airport show an extremely smoky terminal.
A post shared by Allan Townsend (@allantowns) on
One passenger reported that his flight was continuing to board even with the massive amounts of smoke around the gate.
Smoke filling up terminal 4 at JFK. Our flight continues to board pic.twitter.com/XzU5LvkoX6
— Allan Townsend (@allantowns) June 29, 2017
It’s not clear at this point if there are any injuries, but it appears to be quite a chaotic scene in the departures area.
A post shared by randalicious (@randymarsden) on
If you have a flight departing from JFK’s Terminal 4 this afternoon, it’ll be best to check with your carrier before heading to the airport.
We’ll update this post as more information comes in…
Featured image of JFK’s Terminal 4 courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees