This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Part of Terminal 4 at New York’s JFK Airport was evacuated and shut down this afternoon after a grease fire at a restaurant inside the terminal sent smoke throughout its corridors. According to reports, the fire broke out at a Panda Express in the terminal, and since the initial reports, the airport has closed the security checkpoint and departure level.
#JFK Terminal 4 had a restaurant fire. The security checkpoint and departure level is closed. 
— Kennedy Airport (@JFKairport) June 29, 2017
The FDNY acknowledged the fire and reported that they were responding on Twitter.
FDNYalerts QNS ALL HANDS JFK, (JFK AIRPORT) GREASE FIRE,
— FDNYalerts (@FDNYAlerts) June 29, 2017
Scenes that are coming out of the airport show an extremely smoky terminal.
One passenger reported that his flight was continuing to board even with the massive amounts of smoke around the gate.
Smoke filling up terminal 4 at JFK. Our flight continues to board pic.twitter.com/XzU5LvkoX6
— Allan Townsend (@allantowns) June 29, 2017
It’s not clear at this point if there are any injuries, but it appears to be quite a chaotic scene in the departures area.
If you have a flight departing from JFK’s Terminal 4 this afternoon, it’ll be best to check with your carrier before heading to the airport.
We’ll update this post as more information comes in…
Featured image of JFK’s Terminal 4 courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees