This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Part of Terminal 4 at New York’s JFK Airport was evacuated and shut down this afternoon after a grease fire at a restaurant inside the terminal sent smoke throughout its corridors. According to reports, the fire broke out at a Panda Express in the terminal, and since the initial reports, the airport has closed the security checkpoint and departure level.
#JFK Terminal 4 had a restaurant fire. The security checkpoint and departure level is closed. 
— Kennedy Airport (@JFKairport) June 29, 2017
The FDNY acknowledged the fire and reported that they were responding on Twitter.
FDNYalerts QNS ALL HANDS JFK, (JFK AIRPORT) GREASE FIRE,
— FDNYalerts (@FDNYAlerts) June 29, 2017
Scenes that are coming out of the airport show an extremely smoky terminal.
One passenger reported that his flight was continuing to board even with the massive amounts of smoke around the gate.
Smoke filling up terminal 4 at JFK. Our flight continues to board pic.twitter.com/XzU5LvkoX6
— Allan Townsend (@allantowns) June 29, 2017
It’s not clear at this point if there are any injuries, but it appears to be quite a chaotic scene in the departures area.
If you have a flight departing from JFK’s Terminal 4 this afternoon, it’ll be best to check with your carrier before heading to the airport.
We’ll update this post as more information comes in…
Featured image of JFK’s Terminal 4 courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards