Inside DC’s New Game of Thrones-Themed Pop-Up Bar
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Washington, D.C. and the fictional kingdom of Westeros collided in June with the unveiling of a Game of Thrones–themed pop-up bar in the city’s Shaw neighborhood. Spread across the former locations of the Southern Efficiency and Mockingbird Hill bars, this fantastical watering hole recreates sites and scenes from HBO’s hit show, which unveiled its seventh season on July 16.
Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown, New York, has taken the lead in creating specialty cocktails that any fan of the Seven Kingdoms will enjoy. Alongside “Bend The Knee” beer — the show’s official brew — you’ll find more potent drinks inspired by the series, like “The Lannisters Send Their Regards” and “What is Dead May Never Die.” Visitors can also tour replicas of the series’ most famous spots — the Hall of Faces and the Red Keep. Project designers capped the experience with a looping Thrones soundtrack and decorations that could have been pulled right off the set.
“Overall, we want create an experience that is immersive and interactive,” said bar manager Paul Taylor. “To achieve this, we need to be as detailed as possible, which means we want to connect our guests to the theme through the cocktails, the garnishes, the glassware and the decorations. We want you to feel as though you are in the show in many different levels.”
This isn’t Drink Company’s first rodeo. Back in April, the brand bedecked its bars in Japanese cherry blossoms and Super Mario Bros. nostalgia, complete with an origami chandelier. Given all the fanfare behind Game of Thrones, the latest production might be even more amazing. But it’s certainly taken some preparation. “It’s easy to purchase 100 mini-dragons [for garnishes], but when you need 20,000 the sourcing becomes a little trickier,” said Taylor.
The pop-up bar is open now through August 27 from 5:00pm to 12:30am Monday through Thursday, 5:00pm to 1:30am Friday through Saturday and 1:00pm through 7:00pm on Sunday so patrons have enough time to get home in time for the latest episode.
For a look inside the bar, check out the video tour below, brought to you by the folks at Thrillist.
H/T: The Washington Post
All images courtesy of Farrah S. of Dim Sum Media.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees