This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Washington, D.C. and the fictional kingdom of Westeros collided in June with the unveiling of a Game of Thrones–themed pop-up bar in the city’s Shaw neighborhood. Spread across the former locations of the Southern Efficiency and Mockingbird Hill bars, this fantastical watering hole recreates sites and scenes from HBO’s hit show, which unveiled its seventh season on July 16.
Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown, New York, has taken the lead in creating specialty cocktails that any fan of the Seven Kingdoms will enjoy. Alongside “Bend The Knee” beer — the show’s official brew — you’ll find more potent drinks inspired by the series, like “The Lannisters Send Their Regards” and “What is Dead May Never Die.” Visitors can also tour replicas of the series’ most famous spots — the Hall of Faces and the Red Keep. Project designers capped the experience with a looping Thrones soundtrack and decorations that could have been pulled right off the set.
“Overall, we want create an experience that is immersive and interactive,” said bar manager Paul Taylor. “To achieve this, we need to be as detailed as possible, which means we want to connect our guests to the theme through the cocktails, the garnishes, the glassware and the decorations. We want you to feel as though you are in the show in many different levels.”
This isn’t Drink Company’s first rodeo. Back in April, the brand bedecked its bars in Japanese cherry blossoms and Super Mario Bros. nostalgia, complete with an origami chandelier. Given all the fanfare behind Game of Thrones, the latest production might be even more amazing. But it’s certainly taken some preparation. “It’s easy to purchase 100 mini-dragons [for garnishes], but when you need 20,000 the sourcing becomes a little trickier,” said Taylor.
The pop-up bar is open now through August 27 from 5:00pm to 12:30am Monday through Thursday, 5:00pm to 1:30am Friday through Saturday and 1:00pm through 7:00pm on Sunday so patrons have enough time to get home in time for the latest episode.
For a look inside the bar, check out the video tour below, brought to you by the folks at Thrillist.
H/T: The Washington Post
All images courtesy of Farrah S. of Dim Sum Media.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees