This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Washington, D.C. and the fictional kingdom of Westeros collided in June with the unveiling of a Game of Thrones–themed pop-up bar in the city’s Shaw neighborhood. Spread across the former locations of the Southern Efficiency and Mockingbird Hill bars, this fantastical watering hole recreates sites and scenes from HBO’s hit show, which unveiled its seventh season on July 16.
Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown, New York, has taken the lead in creating specialty cocktails that any fan of the Seven Kingdoms will enjoy. Alongside “Bend The Knee” beer — the show’s official brew — you’ll find more potent drinks inspired by the series, like “The Lannisters Send Their Regards” and “What is Dead May Never Die.” Visitors can also tour replicas of the series’ most famous spots — the Hall of Faces and the Red Keep. Project designers capped the experience with a looping Thrones soundtrack and decorations that could have been pulled right off the set.
“Overall, we want create an experience that is immersive and interactive,” said bar manager Paul Taylor. “To achieve this, we need to be as detailed as possible, which means we want to connect our guests to the theme through the cocktails, the garnishes, the glassware and the decorations. We want you to feel as though you are in the show in many different levels.”
This isn’t Drink Company’s first rodeo. Back in April, the brand bedecked its bars in Japanese cherry blossoms and Super Mario Bros. nostalgia, complete with an origami chandelier. Given all the fanfare behind Game of Thrones, the latest production might be even more amazing. But it’s certainly taken some preparation. “It’s easy to purchase 100 mini-dragons [for garnishes], but when you need 20,000 the sourcing becomes a little trickier,” said Taylor.
The pop-up bar is open now through August 27 from 5:00pm to 12:30am Monday through Thursday, 5:00pm to 1:30am Friday through Saturday and 1:00pm through 7:00pm on Sunday so patrons have enough time to get home in time for the latest episode.
For a look inside the bar, check out the video tour below, brought to you by the folks at Thrillist.
H/T: The Washington Post
All images courtesy of Farrah S. of Dim Sum Media.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees