Airbus Plans to Refresh A320 Cabins in 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
At the Paris Air Show today, Airbus announced that it’s working to make the flying experience more comfortable for passengers. The company said today that the A320 will be joining the Airspace family, meaning the interior of the A320 will undergo a major refresh.
After the A320 gets the Airspace treatment, both crew and passengers will see the benefits. The crew will find cockpit ergonomics similar to that of Airbus wide-body aircraft, and passengers can expect a more comfortable ride. Here’s a rundown of what will be getting a facelift on A320s:
- Ceiling lighting: A fully customized on-board luminary experience with variable lighting features from the moment a passenger steps on board through the entire cabin. LED lighting gives way to 16.4 million color options.
- Overhead storage: The largest Overhead Storage Compartment (OHSC) in its class, called the “Airspace Bin,” has room for eight (instead of five) bags per four-frame bin.
- Cabin width: Additional 1 inch at shoulder level from new sidewall panels.
- Windows: New window bezel shades give more window space and unobstructed views.
- Spacious lavatories: New lavatory design features colored mood lighting, anti-bacterial coatings, automatic aromatic dispenser, sound and optional touchless options.
- Door surround: The new lines of the door frames are harmonized to match the Airspace design of the A350 XWB and A330neo.
The new Airspace A320s are sure to be an improvement over what’s currently offered. According to the Airbus press release, airlines expressed great interest in the new aircraft’s increased overhead bin space — 40% more volume for bags, to be exact.
The customizable lighting and other options can make the cabin unique to each carrier,.
The full A320 Airspace interior is targeted for 2020, and Airbus will retrofit to the current hardware.
Aligning the A320 with its new A350 interiors is a move surely to be welcomed by both its customers and passengers. It may take a while until the consumer sees the final product (2020), but based on the pictures, it looks like the wait could be worth it for an elevated flying experience.
Images courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees