Pilot Urges Prayers as ‘Technical Issue’ Forces Turnaround
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An AirAsia X A330 pilot told passengers over the intercom to “say a prayer” after the aircraft experienced a mechanical problem — including a loud bang, a burning smell and shaking — and was forced to return to its origin airport. The incident, which was first reported by The West Australian, occurred Sunday morning on flight D7 237 from Perth, Australia (PER) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL).
About 90 minutes after the plane’s 7:00am departure, passengers heard a loud bang and the plane began to shudder. Sophie Nicolas, a passenger aboard the flight, said the pilot came on the intercom to inform the passengers and crew that the plane would have to return to Perth.
“He said, ‘I hope you all say a prayer, I’ll be saying a prayer too and let’s hope we all get back home safely,'” Nicolas told The West Australian. “It was terrifying.”
An Instagram video posted by user maesaya shows the aircraft’s seats and cabin shaking intensely accompanied by a loud rattling, although the passengers and crew appear to be calm. Accompanying the video on Instagram is the text stating, “I thought I might die.”
Other passengers reported that a smell came through the cabin soon after the bang and flight attendants asked those sitting on the left side of the plane if they saw any issues with the left engine. “You could tell by the cabin crew’s reaction that it was really bad,” said Nicolas.
Passengers were instructed to assume the “brace” position as the aircraft returned and landed in Perth at 10:00 local time (02:00 GMT) on Sunday. Emergency services met the plane but no injuries were reported. Later, a spokesperson for Perth Airport stated that the pilot had “identified a technical issue with the engine” which necessitated the return.
Earlier this year, an AirAsia X plane en route from Taipei (TPE) to Kuala Lumpur experienced turbulence that was so intense that a flight attendant momentarily believed that a man had been killed. The low-cost carrier also had an embarrassing incident in 2015 when one of its A330s flew in the wrong direction, landing in Melbourne, Australia (MEL), instead of Kuala Lumpur after one of the pilots entered the wrong data into the navigation computer. The airline upgraded its flight management systems and improved training after that incident.
“Guests on board the flight will be transferred to the next available flight today,” AirAsia X said in a statement after the plane landed on Sunday. “The safety of our guests are our utmost priority.”
Featured image courtesy of byeangel via Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees