JetBlue Flight Forced to Divert After Battery Catches Fire
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue flight 915 from New York (JFK) to San Francisco (SFO) was forced to divert yesterday after the lithium-ion battery in a passenger’s backpack caught fire on board the flight. According to passengers on board, the fire caused a commotion after people became aware of the incident about 2.5 hours into the journey.
The plane landed safely in Grand Rapids, MI (GRR), where fire crews met the aircraft and took the burnt backpack off the plane. Thankfully, none of the 158 passengers on board were injured, and the plane wasn’t damaged as a result of the fire. The aircraft was on the ground in Grand Rapids for about 3 hours before continuing its journey to San Francisco.
US aircraft are unfortunately no strangers to exploding electronics. Last year, the DOT ended up banning the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 nationwide after devices exploded multiple times in-flight. Lithium-ion batteries are also concerns for nations considering implementing their own versions of the US’ electronics ban, as they say the flammability of the batteries may pose a great risk to passenger safety.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees