Tip: My New Go-To International Power Converter
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With as much as I travel internationally, I recently sought out a true power converter to replace the handful of power adapters I’d been taking with me. I needed a device that would be small, light and — as I can’t afford to have any of my equipment damaged while on the road — have surge protection. All of these together in one device seemed to be a tall order, but I found one that fits the bill. After four months of testing it in Taiwan, Japan, Portugal, England, Germany, Qatar and Oman, I’m ready to give the BESTEK Travel Converter/Adapter my stamp of approval.
Inputs: The converter naturally plugs into the “Type C” Europe-style power outlets, but comes with three adapters so it can work in “more than 150 countries.” The converter takes pretty much any power source you’re going to find when traveling — from 90 to 220 volts.
Outputs: There are seven power outputs — three three-prong US-style power plugs and four USB power plugs. Two of the USB power plugs have a 2.4 amp output and the other two provide 1 amp output.
There aren’t many downsides with the device. While I’d like more than three US plugs in some situations, I can usually get by using the USB chargers for some of my electronics. But there’s one important downside to know about: noise. The device has dual fans that can be quite noticeable in a quiet hotel room or lounge. While I’ve actually grown to enjoy the white noise, it might be obnoxious to some.
If you’re looking for a power converter/adapter for your travels, I’d recommend the BESTEK Travel Converter. I bought it from Amazon, and you can find it here.
Featured image courtesy of domin_domin via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.