This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now that Southwest’s reservation system is fully switched over to Amadeus, the airline can now start planning flights and routes that it hasn’t been able to operate in the past. High on the priority list: flights to Hawaii.
Since Southwest’s old reservation program couldn’t effectively deal with date changes, the airline would’ve been very limited on flights to and from the fiftieth state. Now, unburdened by these restrictions, it looks like Hawaii is in the plans for 2018.
Yesterday, Southwest CEO Gary Kelly told reporters at the airline’s annual shareholder meeting that “We’re deciding what our plans are for 2018 and Hawaii is important to us.” Pressed for details about adding flights to the schedule in 2017, Kelly clarified: “We still have a lot of work to do and we don’t have a committed work plan yet on Hawaii … but it’s pretty high on the priority list.”
However, the details of how and where are already being speculated about. The Arizona Republic reported that Southwest would use its new longer-range 737 MAX aircraft for West Coast routes to Hawaii. Although Southwest was the launch customer of the 737 MAX, Southwest won’t take delivery of its first 737 MAX aircraft until October. So, Hawaii flights would have to be scheduled after this date.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees