Southwest CEO Confirms Hawaii Routes are a High Priority
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now that Southwest’s reservation system is fully switched over to Amadeus, the airline can now start planning flights and routes that it hasn’t been able to operate in the past. High on the priority list: flights to Hawaii.
Since Southwest’s old reservation program couldn’t effectively deal with date changes, the airline would’ve been very limited on flights to and from the fiftieth state. Now, unburdened by these restrictions, it looks like Hawaii is in the plans for 2018.
Yesterday, Southwest CEO Gary Kelly told reporters at the airline’s annual shareholder meeting that “We’re deciding what our plans are for 2018 and Hawaii is important to us.” Pressed for details about adding flights to the schedule in 2017, Kelly clarified: “We still have a lot of work to do and we don’t have a committed work plan yet on Hawaii … but it’s pretty high on the priority list.”
However, the details of how and where are already being speculated about. The Arizona Republic reported that Southwest would use its new longer-range 737 MAX aircraft for West Coast routes to Hawaii. Although Southwest was the launch customer of the 737 MAX, Southwest won’t take delivery of its first 737 MAX aircraft until October. So, Hawaii flights would have to be scheduled after this date.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*