United Grows Presence in South America With New Route and Added Frequency
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In an effort to grow its South American route network, United Airlines announced today that it’s expanding service to the continent with new service between Newark (EWR) and Buenos Aires (EZE) and additional frequencies to Bogotá (BOG). The new route and additional flights are set to begin later this year, which will make United the US carrier with the largest offering from the New York area to South America, according to its press release.
The new service between EWR and EZE is set to begin on October 28, with the inaugural flight departing from EWR and arriving at EZE. United will offer daily daily service on the route. It’ll be operated by one of the carrier’s Boeing 767-300 aircraft, which offers 30 lie-flat seats in Polaris (2-1-2 configuration), 49 seats in economy plus with 35 inches of pitch (2-3-2 configuration) and 135 seats with 31 inches of pitch in economy (2-3-2 configuration).
Here’s the schedule for the new Newark-Buenos Aires route:
- UA979 Newark (EWR) 9:50pm Departure ⇒ Buenos Aires (EZE) 10:50am (+1) Arrival
- UA978 Buenos Aires (EZE) 9:00pm Departure ⇒ Newark (EWR) 6:10am (+1) Arrival
United already flies to Bueno Aires with nonstop service from Houston (IAH). In addition, it already serves the EWR-BOG market, however, it’s adding additional frequencies on the route. It currently offers nonstop daily service between New York and the Colombian capital, but from June 8 through August 14, the Chicago-based carrier will offer two daily flights.
Here’s the schedule for the additional frequency, which will be available from June 8 through August 14, 2017:
- UA1558 Newark (EWR) 11:55pm Departure ⇒ Bogotá (BOG) 5:00am (+1) Arrival
- UA1559 Bogotá (BOG) 10:35pm Departure ⇒ Newark (EWR) 5:40am (+1) Arrival
And here’s the schedule for the existing daily flight:
- UA1068 Newark (EWR) 4:31pm Departure ⇒ Bogotá (BOG) 9:35pm Arrival
- UA1069 Bogotá (BOG) 8:48am Departure ⇒ Newark (EWR) 3:53pm Arrival
United offers twice daily service between BOG and IAH, so this added frequency will put the New York area on par — at least for the busy summer travel season. Like the existing flight on this route, the added frequency will also be serviced by one of United’s 737-700s. These aircraft offer 12 recliner seats in first with 38 inches of pitch (2-2 configuration), 40 seats in economy plus with 36 inches of pitch (3-3 configuration) and 66 seats in economy with 31 inches of pitch (3-3 configuration).
Based on United’s award chart, flying on these routes will cost you a varying number of miles. If you’re interested in the EWR-BOG service, an award ticket will cost you 20,000 miles one-way at the saver level in economy or 35,000 miles one-way at the saver level in business. If you’re looking to book an award ticket on the EWR-EZE route, it’ll cost you 30,000 miles one-way at the saver level in economy or 55,000 miles one-way at the saver level in business.
Featured image of Buenos Aires courtesy of cristianl via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees