Man Sues American Airlines for Being Squished by Obese Passengers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Australian man is suing American Airlines for being squished by two “grossly obese” passengers on a long-haul flight. Michael Anthony Taylor, 67, is seeking more than AUD 100,000 (~$74,000) in damages from AA, claiming he suffered injuries when he was forced to contort his body in order to sit next to two overweight passengers.
On the December 2015 American Airlines flight from Sydney (SYD) to Los Angeles (LAX), Taylor was sitting in a window seat in economy on the Boeing 777-300ER. According to court documents, two overweight passengers were sitting in the other two seats of his row. (The 77W is arranged in a 3-4-3 configuration.) According to the lawsuit, the body of the passenger in the middle seat “spilt over and encroached” upon Taylor’s seat. As a result, Taylor was forced to “contort his body into a series of positions including standing up, crouching, keeling and leaning forward.”
Taylor had a pre-existing spinal condition, but he claims that the situation on the 14-hour journey from SYD to LAX only made his situation worse. According to Taylor’s lawyer, Taylor asked flight crew to change seats but was denied on multiple occasions.
“Mr. Taylor asked the cabin crew on numerous occasions if he could sit in another passenger’s seat, or sit on one of the crew seats, or sit in the aisle or even to sit on the toilet seat to alleviate the pain and discomfort that he was suffering from,” Taylor’s lawyer, Thomas Jansen, told News.com.au. “On each occasion, he was refused and rebuffed.” It’s worth noting that FAA regulations do not allow passengers to sit in crew jumpseats, and all of the other seats in the economy cabin were full.
Taylor says that he suffered back injuries, neck pain and injuries, ongoing discomfort and the aggravation of his pre-existing scoliosis as a result of contorting his body to fit in the row with his seatmates. This lawsuit comes on the heels of news from AA saying that it’ll be shrinking the seat pitch from 31 inches to 29 inches on some of its new 737 MAX aircraft in an effort to fit more seats in the cabin.
American told Fox News that it’s aware of Taylor’s lawsuit and added, “We just received the lawsuit and we are reviewing the allegations.”
If you find yourself sitting next to a passenger of size, consider following these tips from TPG flight attendant insider Carrie A. Trey.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees