Zunum Aero’s Electronic Planes Could Cut Flight Times and Costs in Half
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two of the aviation industry’s biggest names — Boeing and JetBlue — are teaming up for one very exciting adventure. The two companies have partnered up to back Zunum Aero, a start-up developing a fleet of hybrid planes that could be ready to take off by the early 2020s.
Zunum Aero’s commitment to sustainable energy couldn’t come at a better time. Last week, the Kirkland, Washington-based company unveiled its plans for a fleet of hybrid and electric planes that’ll seat anywhere from 10 to 50 passengers apiece, and could cut costs and flight times in half. How? Partly by focusing on short-haul flights; Fast Company reports that Zunum Aero expects its planes to be flying up to 700 miles by the 2020s by using a hybrid gas-electric system, and that distance could even increase to 1,000 miles by 2030. The planes will operate via an electric thrust system, with a fuel-powered generator being used as a back-up. The other key part of Zunum Aero’s plan is to fly out of smaller, regional airports, which will allow for less congestion when you’re getting to and from the airport, plus a more efficient security process once a traveler has arrived. Put these components together, and the company predicts passengers will spend 40% less time getting from their front door to their final destination on busier routes — and as much as 80% less time on less-traveled routes.
“The shift of the industry to large aircraft and long ranges driven by gas turbines has concentrated almost all air traffic to just 2% of our airports, creating a massive transport gap over regional distances where there is no high-speed alternative,” Ashish Kumar, Zunum Aero’s CEO and founder, said in a press release. “As a result, door-to-door times for most journeys are no better than they were 50 years ago. Hybrid propulsion is an industry-changing solution, enabling mid-sized aircraft on regional routes to have better cost efficiencies than airliners.”
Because of the lower overhead, the company anticipates airfares will come in at around 40-80% below current prices. From an environmental standpoint, it anticipates 80% lower emissions to begin with — which may end up dropping to zero as battery density improves — and 75% less noise, allowing for departures to take place at all hours.
You had us at “flight times and costs could be cut in half.”
H/T: Fast Company
Featured image courtesy of Zunum Aero.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.