Spirit is The Latest Airline to Axe Cuba Service
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines has been flying two nonstop flights daily between Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Havana (HAV) since December 1, 2016. TPG himself even flew the route after a recent trip to Cuba. But, like a few other airlines, Spirit has realized that the demand for Cuba flights isn’t as strong as airlines predicted when they originally announced their desired routes a little over a year ago.
Spirit’s ending its service to Havana June 1, and it’s going to fly only once daily from FLL during the month of May, except from May 25-31, when it will operate its current twice-daily service. This move is the latest reduction of service to the island nation. Both American Airlines and JetBlue have announced cuts in capacity to Cuba, while Silver Airways and Frontier (and now Spirit) will soon pull out of the market completely.
H/T: Sun Sentinel
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.