A Peek Inside London’s New Princess Diana Memorial Garden
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Nearly 20 years after her death, the royal family is honoring the memory of the late Princess Diana — who was killed in a car crash on August 31, 1997 — with The White Garden, a spectacular display of flowers at Kensington Palace in London, the former home of “The People’s Princess.”
The memorial garden, which took nearly 18 months to plan and create, pays homage to her life and style. Six gardeners and two volunteers worked to transform the Palace’s Sunken Garden, which required the planting of 12,000 bulbs.
The White Garden is full of hyacinths, lilies, scented narcisii and tulips — including the Tulipa Diana — plus, appropriately, forget-me-nots. In the summer, pots of traditional English white roses will be placed around the garden’s reflecting pool.
The garden is meant to complement “Diana: Her Fashion Story,” a fascinating dress exhibition being held inside Kensington Palace that traces her history as a fashion icon, in which some of her most famous outfits — including the cream blouse she wore in her official engagement photos and the velvet gown she danced with John Travolta in at the White House — are on display. While the dress exhibition will remain open through 2018, the White Garden is a temporary fixture that’ll be free and open to the public through September to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Princess’ death. Check out the video below for a closer look.
Featured image courtesy of Daniel Leal-Olivas/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees