A Peek Inside London’s New Princess Diana Memorial Garden
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Nearly 20 years after her death, the royal family is honoring the memory of the late Princess Diana — who was killed in a car crash on August 31, 1997 — with The White Garden, a spectacular display of flowers at Kensington Palace in London, the former home of “The People’s Princess.”
The memorial garden, which took nearly 18 months to plan and create, pays homage to her life and style. Six gardeners and two volunteers worked to transform the Palace’s Sunken Garden, which required the planting of 12,000 bulbs.
The White Garden is full of hyacinths, lilies, scented narcisii and tulips — including the Tulipa Diana — plus, appropriately, forget-me-nots. In the summer, pots of traditional English white roses will be placed around the garden’s reflecting pool.
The garden is meant to complement “Diana: Her Fashion Story,” a fascinating dress exhibition being held inside Kensington Palace that traces her history as a fashion icon, in which some of her most famous outfits — including the cream blouse she wore in her official engagement photos and the velvet gown she danced with John Travolta in at the White House — are on display. While the dress exhibition will remain open through 2018, the White Garden is a temporary fixture that’ll be free and open to the public through September to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Princess’ death. Check out the video below for a closer look.
Featured image courtesy of Daniel Leal-Olivas/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.