In Australia, Pub Crawls by Helicopter Are Now a Thing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hear the phrase “pub crawl,” and you’re likely to envision spending several hours schlepping from one bar to the next — which, with the right companions, can make for a fun activity. But now, Pterodactyl Helicopters, an Ipswich, Australia-based tour company about 45-minutes from Brisbane, is upping the ante — and adding some spectacular views — by taking guests on a country pub crawl via chopper.
Over the span of seven hours, Captain Mike Jarvis, your pilot and tour guide, will take you and up to two friends on a journey through Australia’s Scenic Rim region, where you’ll get a bird’s-eye (and possibly beer-goggled) view of some of the area’s most iconic sights, including Tamborine Mountain, Lockyer Valley and the 131-year-old Dickabram Bridge. If he swoops down low enough, you may even be able to spot some kangaroos and wallabies.
Then there’s the beer: The day will include stops at five different pubs and/or breweries, where you’ll tuck into a pint before taking off — literally — for your next destination. You’ll also grab some lunch at one of those spots; Jarvis changes the itinerary up all the time, but some of his favorites include the Sundowner Saloon, the Dugandan Hotel (known as “The Dugie” to locals), Pumpyard Bar & Brewery, The Bearded Dragon and the Scenic Rim Brewery & Cafe.
“A pint at each pub and a delicious lunch are included,” Jarvis said when I reached out for more info, “but it should be noted here that this is not an opportunity to get merry at 5,000 feet. Safety is paramount and there’s a limit of one beer per venue. It’s more about the experience.”
The cost for this epic journey? About $1,413 ($1,880 AUD) for two. If weights allow for it, a third passenger can come along for an extra $286 ($380 AUD). Plus, if you live or are staying within 10 kilometers (about 6.2 miles) of their base in Queensland, “We will also pick you up in the Jeep,” Jarvis said. “We can price in a pick-up from further away — or even your backyard in the chopper if it is suitable for a chopper landing. How cool is that?”
Check out the video below for a closer look at an Aussie chopper pub crawl adventure.
Featured image courtesy of Pterodactyl Helicopters’ Facebook page.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.