Group Invites Random Stranger with the Same Name to Join Them After Friend Bails
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A group of friends in the UK about to embark on a getaway to Mallorca, Spain, for a 30th birthday celebration hit a snag in their plans when one of their pals, Joe McGrath, dropped out at the last minute, with his plane ticket and hotel reservation already listed under his name. Instead of letting his part of the vacation — which included a flight from Bristol (BRS), UK, and a stay at an all-inclusive resort — go to waste, they took to Facebook and soon managed to track down another Joe McGrath who lived in Manchester, UK, and sent him a message to see if he’d like to join them — despite the fact that they’d never met.
So this happened pic.twitter.com/99MQXdZVyw
— Joe McGrath (@joemcgrath95) April 5, 2017
Joe Mcgrath No. 2, who works at a radio station, was able to take off a few days, and made the three-hour drive down to Bristol to meet his new companions, telling The Telegraph he’d had “a mad three days with complete strangers that I think I can call my good friends.”
The folks who invited him got in on the fun, posting their own statuses on social media — Lucy B. posted this photo of McGrath saying, “When your friend can’t make it on holiday so you troll the internet to find someone with the same name.”
Innocent me before take off pic.twitter.com/2tAkUFEUvn
— Joe McGrath (@joemcgrath95) April 5, 2017
Well, it sounds like Joe No. 2 had a blast with his new friends. Though, with an all-expenses paid trip to Mallorca, it seems like it would be hard not to. Spontaneous travel with strangers also worked out pretty well for these two back in 2014 — a recently-dumped 28-year-old from Toronto managed to find someone with the same name as his ex-girlfriend to take over her part of the round-the-world itinerary — so maybe there’s something to it.
H/T: The Telegraph
Image of Mallorca, Spain, courtesy of Dennis Fischer Photography via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees