Southwest Changes Same-Day Standby Rules for A-List and A-List Preferred Members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in September, Southwest changed its same-day standby policy for A-List and A-List Preferred members. However, the changes ended up not being all that beneficial, as the terms stated that the flight must be “within two hours of your original scheduled departure, between the same city pairs, and on the original date of travel.”
While the same-day standby perk was surely welcome for Southwest elite members, the two-hour window was only particularly useful for some, especially business travelers flying on routes that have high frequencies between the airline’s ‘hub’ cities, but for the everyday traveler, it would have been hard to use.
Today, the carrier is making that benefit much easier to take advantage of. Beginning today, Southwest’s same-day standby policy is good for all flights scheduled prior to the original departure. You can read the email sent to A-List and A-List Preferred members below:
While Southwest is known for its generous policy for changing flights for all travelers, as it charges no fee and only the change in fare, sometimes the only option for your needs is standby. It’s worth noting, however, that Southwest didn’t change the policy for non-elite members. So if you’re traveling with non-elite friends or family, you’ll have to split up in order to get on the earlier flight, even if its your companion on the Companion Pass.
If you’re a Southwest A-List or A-List Preferred member and want to take advantage of this new and improved benefit, you’ll need to talk to a Southwest agent at the airport. There’s no way to fly same-day standby online or through an airport kiosk. Overall, this is great news for Southwest elites, who will now have more flexibility in using this valuable benefit.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.