Southwest Changes Same-Day Standby Rules for A-List and A-List Preferred Members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in September, Southwest changed its same-day standby policy for A-List and A-List Preferred members. However, the changes ended up not being all that beneficial, as the terms stated that the flight must be “within two hours of your original scheduled departure, between the same city pairs, and on the original date of travel.”
While the same-day standby perk was surely welcome for Southwest elite members, the two-hour window was only particularly useful for some, especially business travelers flying on routes that have high frequencies between the airline’s ‘hub’ cities, but for the everyday traveler, it would have been hard to use.
Today, the carrier is making that benefit much easier to take advantage of. Beginning today, Southwest’s same-day standby policy is good for all flights scheduled prior to the original departure. You can read the email sent to A-List and A-List Preferred members below:
While Southwest is known for its generous policy for changing flights for all travelers, as it charges no fee and only the change in fare, sometimes the only option for your needs is standby. It’s worth noting, however, that Southwest didn’t change the policy for non-elite members. So if you’re traveling with non-elite friends or family, you’ll have to split up in order to get on the earlier flight, even if its your companion on the Companion Pass.
If you’re a Southwest A-List or A-List Preferred member and want to take advantage of this new and improved benefit, you’ll need to talk to a Southwest agent at the airport. There’s no way to fly same-day standby online or through an airport kiosk. Overall, this is great news for Southwest elites, who will now have more flexibility in using this valuable benefit.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees