Marriott Platinum Premier Elites Now Get United Premier Gold
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Like many other airlines and hotels, Marriott offers an invitation-only level of elite status above the ones it offers publicly. Platinum Premier is offered to the top few percent of Marriott customers who spend the most money and nights at the chain’s hotels, though exactly how much you need to spend and stay to be invited isn’t publicized.
Historically Platinum Premier hasn’t offered much more than standard Marriott Platinum status. Recognition of the status varies tremendously from property to property, with some Marriott hotels treating Platinum Premier customers like royalty while others don’t even recognize the status at all. Aside from a dedicated phone line for Platinum Premier members and the annual token gift, the experience of being a Platinum Premier elite is rather inconsistent.
However, Marriott has now quietly added a very nice benefit to its Platinum Premier status. Both standard Marriott Platinum and Platinum Premier elites already receive complimentary United Premier Silver status, but TPG reader Tom informs us that Platinum Premier members will now get United Premier Gold instead of Silver.
The difference between low-level United Silver and mid-tier Gold is significant, though perhaps not groundbreaking. United Golds are able to select complimentary Economy Plus seats at booking, versus Silvers who must wait until check-in to pick from whatever Economy Plus seats remain at that point. Golds also get two free checked bags (as opposed to one for Silvers), lower fees for award bookings and changes, waived fees for same-day standby, increased redeemable miles and higher upgrade priority than Silvers.
In the past, there have been reports of Marriott offering United Gold to a subset of its Platinum Premier members, but the terms and conditions indicate this new perk is available to everyone at that status level. So if you’re a Marriott Platinum Premier elite, request your complimentary United Premier Gold by registering at this link. It will take 7-10 days for your information to be confirmed, but once that’s complete, your new United Gold status should be good until January 2018.
Given that Platinum Premier elites haven’t received a ton of love from Marriott in the past, this will undoubtedly be a welcome upgrade.
Featured image of the JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro courtesy of Marriott.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees