Inside NASA’s Giant Flying Telescope On Board a 747 (Video)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When they’re not in space, telescopes work best at altitude. Some of the world’s most prominent land-based telescopes — from the Mauna Kea observatories in Hawaii to the research centers scattered throughout Chile’s mountains and Atacama Desert — sit far from population centers, often far above sea level. Scientists and engineers have deliberately chosen these sites to minimize light pollution and the distorting effects that Earth’s atmosphere has on incoming light from across the universe.
In this week’s crazy aviation video, we take you to a high-flying observatory onboard a modified, stubby looking Boeing 747SP operated jointly by NASA and German space agency DLR. Based out of Palmdale, California, the Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy, known as SOFIA, is roughly the same size as the famous Hubble Space Telescope, but serves a different purpose. Unlike Hubble, SOFIA records infrared light from space objects to provide scientists a clearer picture of our galaxy and, specifically, the gaseous materials that form stars.
Chief SOFIA Scientist Eric Becklin explains the functionality of this awesome piece of research technology. So, how does it work? The team built a custom door on this 747 that opens mid-air to give the telescope a clear sightline to the skies above. Besides providing valuable data for scientists, the project has given new life to a 45+ year-old aircraft that once flew for airlines such as Pan Am and United. We’re all for it.
Have you visited an observatory or seen this special 747 before?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.