Visit US National Parks for Free on These Days in 2017
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of America’s greatest treasures is its vast network of 417 national parks, monuments, battlefields, historic sites, preserves and conservation areas — with more than 84 million acres of protected lands throughout the US and its territories, adventure and discovery are never too far away.
And, as if you really needed another reason to visit, the National Parks Service (NPS) is offering free admission on certain days in 2017, including the weekends of April 15-16 and 22-23 in honor of National Park Week, August 25 (to celebrate the National Park Service’s birthday), September 30 for National Public Lands Day and Veterans Day weekend on November 11-12 — you could have also gotten in free on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (January 16) and Presidents’ Day (February 20).
Admission fees normally vary from park to park, with some of the most popular charging as high as $30 per car — we’re looking at you, Grand Canyon National Park. Note that the free entrance days only get you into these participating parks and monuments and do not apply to additional charges for activities like camping, concessions or third-party tours. If you are planning a trip, consider staying at points hotels located just outside some of the most-visited national parks in the country.
In addition to the free days listed above, NPS offers complimentary admission to current US military members and their dependents, as well as US citizens or permanent residents with permanent disabilities. Volunteers who log at least 250 hours with federal agencies also get in free, as do fourth grade students, who can score a free annual pass as a part of the Every Kid in a Park program. Seniors over the age of 62 who are US citizens or permanent residents are also eligible to purchase a $10 Lifetime Pass, which provides additional discounts on camping, swimming and other park-related services.
Featured image of Badlands National Park courtesy of Andrew Nay / EyeEm via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees