American Airlines Acquires Minority Stake in China Southern Airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Yesterday, American Airlines finalized a deal to acquire a minority stake in China Southern Airlines, totaling $200 million. The deal will connect the world’s largest carrier with China’s largest. Along with buying a 2.68% stake in the Hong Kong-based company’s total issued shares, the two airlines agreed to a codeshare, even though they are members in competing alliances (AA in Oneworld and CZ in SkyTeam).
According to Bloomberg, China Southern will issue 270.6 million shares to American at HKD 5.74 (~$0.74) apiece. With the agreement, AA is increasing its presence in China, which is a must, given the projected increase in passengers. According to the International Air Transport Association, China is expected to surpass the US to become the largest market for commercial flights in terms of passengers by 2024.
American joins the likes of Cathay Pacific and Delta Air Lines, which both own stakes in China-based airlines. Cathay owns about 18% of Air China, and Delta acquired a minority stake in China Eastern in 2015.
This is a smart move by AA, which is looking to diversify its portfolio. By adding a codeshare agreement with a China-based carrier, AA is now opening its options to diversify its route network and capitalize on the growing Chinese market. As of this writing, there are no award redemption options with China Southern, but we’ll be sure to let you know when there are developments in this story.
Featured image courtesy of James D. Morgan via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.