American Airlines Acquires Minority Stake in China Southern Airlines
Yesterday, American Airlines finalized a deal to acquire a minority stake in China Southern Airlines, totaling $200 million. The deal will connect the world’s largest carrier with China’s largest. Along with buying a 2.68% stake in the Hong Kong-based company’s total issued shares, the two airlines agreed to a codeshare, even though they are members in competing alliances (AA in Oneworld and CZ in SkyTeam).
According to Bloomberg, China Southern will issue 270.6 million shares to American at HKD 5.74 (~$0.74) apiece. With the agreement, AA is increasing its presence in China, which is a must, given the projected increase in passengers. According to the International Air Transport Association, China is expected to surpass the US to become the largest market for commercial flights in terms of passengers by 2024.
American joins the likes of Cathay Pacific and Delta Air Lines, which both own stakes in China-based airlines. Cathay owns about 18% of Air China, and Delta acquired a minority stake in China Eastern in 2015.
This is a smart move by AA, which is looking to diversify its portfolio. By adding a codeshare agreement with a China-based carrier, AA is now opening its options to diversify its route network and capitalize on the growing Chinese market. As of this writing, there are no award redemption options with China Southern, but we’ll be sure to let you know when there are developments in this story.
Featured image courtesy of James D. Morgan via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees