This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Yesterday, American Airlines finalized a deal to acquire a minority stake in China Southern Airlines, totaling $200 million. The deal will connect the world’s largest carrier with China’s largest. Along with buying a 2.68% stake in the Hong Kong-based company’s total issued shares, the two airlines agreed to a codeshare, even though they are members in competing alliances (AA in Oneworld and CZ in SkyTeam).
According to Bloomberg, China Southern will issue 270.6 million shares to American at HKD 5.74 (~$0.74) apiece. With the agreement, AA is increasing its presence in China, which is a must, given the projected increase in passengers. According to the International Air Transport Association, China is expected to surpass the US to become the largest market for commercial flights in terms of passengers by 2024.
American joins the likes of Cathay Pacific and Delta Air Lines, which both own stakes in China-based airlines. Cathay owns about 18% of Air China, and Delta acquired a minority stake in China Eastern in 2015.
This is a smart move by AA, which is looking to diversify its portfolio. By adding a codeshare agreement with a China-based carrier, AA is now opening its options to diversify its route network and capitalize on the growing Chinese market. As of this writing, there are no award redemption options with China Southern, but we’ll be sure to let you know when there are developments in this story.
Featured image courtesy of James D. Morgan via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees