9 Underground and Underwater Bars That Belong on Your Bucket List
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While rooftop bars feature impressive views — and sometimes from nosebleed-inducing heights — there’s a different sort of attraction to bars that are hidden underground or underwater since they offer a shared sense of intimacy and are often in spectacular or historic hideaway venues. These 9 subterranean bars from the Maldives to lower Manhattan each have their own visual flair and special atmosphere — the one thing they all have in common: they’re not recommended for anyone who gets claustrophobic.
Location: Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof, Frankfurt, Germany
Atmosphere: Young, sophisticated crowd
The Lowdown: While, ironically, the namesake for this underground restaurant and bar is the open-air Breeze restaurant located on the 51st and 52nd floors of the Tower Club at Lebua in Bangkok, the Frankfurt version specializes in themed flights of cocktails, including its “smoke” series.
2. Cave Bar
Location: Hotel More, Dubrovnik, Croatia
Atmosphere: Smart, but casual
The Lowdown: Located along the seaside, the Cave Bar is a well-lit, well-appointed natural cavern that spans more than three levels and can accommodate about 60 guests.
3. [The Other] Cave Bar
Location: Petra Guest House Hotel, Petra (Wadi Musa), Jordan
Atmosphere: Casual, but lively
The Lowdown: Situated inside a 2000-year-old Nabataen rock tomb in the Petra archaeological area, the Cave Bar is known for its comfort food and party-friendly atmosphere.
Location: Conrad Ragali Island Hotel, Maldives
Atmosphere: Smart, underwater (no scuba gear)
The Lowdown: This restaurant and bar that opens mid-morning for cocktails is the only underwater bar and restaurant in the world that’s completely glass enclosed, featuring views of fish and coral reefs on every side.
5. The Library
Location: Underneath the Gilt Bar, Chicago
Atmosphere: The swankiest library you’ve ever been in
The Lowdown: Located downstairs at this River North venue, The Library presents a cozy atmosphere featuring craft cocktails and a substantial bar menu full of gluten-free and vegetarian fare.
Locations: Museum Hotel, Cappadocia, Turkey
Atmosphere: Upscale and touristy
The Lowdown: This Relais & Chateaux property is situated in a series of restored ruins, caves and ancient houses. In addition to the hotel’s cavernous Lil’a restaurant and bar, you can set up your own private overnight speakeasy in the Sultan’s Cave Suite, an outrageously cool space accessed only by a cave tunnel, outfitted with a ceiling window for stargazing and a wine cellar stocked with regional wines.
Location: East Poultry Avenue, Smithfield Market, London
Atmosphere: British world explorer — music lovers and history buffs, rejoice!
The Lowdown: Nestled underneath London’s historic Smithfield Market, Oriole features world music from jazz to calypso in a setting full of curios collected from around the globe — the cocktails here are imaginatively created with references from across the map as well.
8. The Ship
Location: 158 Lafayette Street, New York City
Atmosphere: Seated elegance
The Lowdown: This downstairs bar in Lower Manhattan keeps it cozy with booths big enough for parties of up to six and serves small plates to match its well-chosen menu of cocktails, wines and beers.
Location: 1800 14th St. NW, Washington, D.C.
Atmosphere: After-work hang out
The Lowdown: This friendly and adult party-ish walk-down bar with its own outside entrance is situated underneath the Doi Moi restaurant and offers daily, hand-illustrated menus of its currently featured cocktails.
Have you visited any of these bars? Which ones are now on your travel bucket list? Sound off, below.
Featured image courtesy of the Conrad Maldives Rangali Island’s Facebook page.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees