Watch a Super Low Visibility Landing From the Pilot’s Perspective
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Instrument approaches are nothing new in the aviation industry; planes have been able to operate in rain or shine for decades. Landing instrument aids help align the airplane with the runway and proper descent path, and let the pilot take command at some point prior to touching down. Since the 1970s and 80s, airplane manufacturers have worked with airlines to improve jets’ ability to land automatically, aiming to make low-visibility airport operations safer and smoother, reducing strain on pilots but also alleviating weather delays.
In this crazy aviation video, watch an Airbus approach and autoland at Auckland International airport (AKL), breaking through the cloud ceiling barely 50 feet above the runway. How do we know the pilots used autoland? Airbus systems sound three “pings” as the aircraft slows down after landing, indicating the autopilot system being disconnected. At larger airports affected by low-lying fog, flight delays are often caused by ATC limiting the number of aircraft movements. In low visibility, autoland helps minimize diversions and prolonged holding patterns.
When’s the last time you landed in thick fog? Tell us your experience in the comments, below.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees