Three Passengers Detained in Beijing for Using Phones During Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last fall, TPG Assistant Editor Nick Ellis flew from Seattle (SEA) to Shenzhen (SZX) on Xiamen Air. He learned of one of China’s quirkier airline policies the hard way after pulling out his phone to listen to music and then immediately being asked to shut the device off, even though the phone was in airplane mode.
It seems that Nick was extremely lucky for only getting scolded, as three travelers were detained by Beijing police between January 5 and February 6 of this year for using their cell phones during a flight, with two of the passengers held for five days. Chinese carriers are known for their strict cell phone ban, which can come as a surprise to many, as other airlines have continued to relax rules surrounding the use of mobile devices. The Federal Aviation Administration (with few exceptions) allows passengers to use cell phones during all phases of the flight, as long as it’s set to airplane mode.
While cell phones must be completely shut off during a flight on a Mainland Chinese carrier, iPads, tablets and laptops are allowed. We’d suggest downloading your favorite movies and music onto your tablet so you’re not left without tunes — or worse, forced to extend your trip to China by detention.
H/T: The Washington Post
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.