Harrison Ford Involved in Near-Miss Incident With a Commercial Jet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 2/22/2017: TMZ has acquired a video that shows Harrison Ford landing on a taxiway at Orange County’s John Wayne Airport. In the video it appears that Ford’s plane passes over an American Airlines’ 737.
The FAA is currently investigating an incident involving actor Harrison Ford today when he landed his private aircraft (a single-engine Aviat Husky) on a taxiway instead of runway 20-L at Orange County’s John Wayne Airport (SNA) as he had been assigned by ATC. As he was coming in to land, his aircraft reportedly passed directly above American Airlines flight 1546, operated by a Boeing 737 carrying 110 passengers and six crew members bound for Dallas.
The 74-year old actor landed his plane on the taxiway, which violates the FAA’s rules. According to the FAA, Air Traffic Controllers gave Mr. Ford correct landing instructions, and he repeated them back correctly. He has been involved in several incidents including crashes and close-calls over the years. However, he is an avid collector of vintage airplanes and is widely known to be a great pilot, even having been inducted as a Living Legend of Aviation.
The FAA’s investigation into this incident is ongoing, and depending on its findings, Mr. Ford could receive anything from a warning to a suspension of his private pilot’s license.
Featured image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.