Harrison Ford Involved in Near-Miss Incident With a Commercial Jet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 2/22/2017: TMZ has acquired a video that shows Harrison Ford landing on a taxiway at Orange County’s John Wayne Airport. In the video it appears that Ford’s plane passes over an American Airlines’ 737.
The FAA is currently investigating an incident involving actor Harrison Ford today when he landed his private aircraft (a single-engine Aviat Husky) on a taxiway instead of runway 20-L at Orange County’s John Wayne Airport (SNA) as he had been assigned by ATC. As he was coming in to land, his aircraft reportedly passed directly above American Airlines flight 1546, operated by a Boeing 737 carrying 110 passengers and six crew members bound for Dallas.
The 74-year old actor landed his plane on the taxiway, which violates the FAA’s rules. According to the FAA, Air Traffic Controllers gave Mr. Ford correct landing instructions, and he repeated them back correctly. He has been involved in several incidents including crashes and close-calls over the years. However, he is an avid collector of vintage airplanes and is widely known to be a great pilot, even having been inducted as a Living Legend of Aviation.
The FAA’s investigation into this incident is ongoing, and depending on its findings, Mr. Ford could receive anything from a warning to a suspension of his private pilot’s license.
Featured image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees