American Offers Its Best Economy Seats to US Military Members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We got a tip from reader Patrick K. on our Beginners Guide to Choosing Seats on American Airlines. He pointed out there’s an aspect we missed: “Any Active Duty military will be given free access to any preferred or MCE seats” on American Airlines flights. We asked AA to confirm that this was its policy — to make sure Patrick hadn’t just gotten ahold of an exceptionally generous agent. Sure enough, he’s right.
An American Airlines spokesperson provided this statement about the policy:
Active U.S. Military members (and their family members traveling on the same reservation) receive complimentary access to Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Extra. Preferred Seats can be selected by active U.S. Military traveling on a Military or Government fare. If not traveling on a Military or Government fare, active U.S. Military can request a Preferred Seat or Main Cabin Extra from an airport agent if available.
As Main Cabin Extra seats are only available to US military members at the airport, it’s likely that the absolute best-available options will have already been scooped up by American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum and Platinum elite members. On routes where American Airlines is selling business-class seats as part of economy, there probably aren’t going to be any such seats available at the airport. However, there will still likely be some Main Cabin Extra seats to choose from — especially as elite members are upgraded at the gate.
This benefit is in addition to other perks that American Airlines grants US military members: first to board (after ConciergeKey members and special needs passengers) and up to three free checked bags for personal travel.
From free baggage allowance to being able to select the best economy seats for free, American Airlines offers plenty of benefits to active US military members. We encourage active US military members to take “AAdvantage” of these complimentary benefits, and we thank you for your service.
Featured image courtesy of American Airlines.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.