Trump’s Flight to D.C. Causes Delays and Cancellations at LaGuardia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New York City’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA) — usually prone to being backed up on a regular day — is currently experiencing longer-than-usual delays as well as several flight cancellations despite there being clear skies in the area. According to FlightAware.com, there are upwards of 160 delays and 55+ cancellations at the time of this writing.
About an hour ago, LGA posted a tweet telling passengers to allow extra time for travel plans and to contact airlines for the most up-to-date information on delays and cancellations — however, the tweet, pictured below, seems to downplay the scale and magnitude of the delays the airport is currently experiencing.
There maybe delays at #LGA. Please allow extra time when traveling to the airport and contact your airline. 
— LaGuardia (@LGAairport) January 19, 2017
President-elect Trump departed LGA earlier this morning on board a Boeing C-32A aircraft (a modified Boeing 757) for what was his first government flight en route to the nation’s capital to begin inauguration festivities on Friday.
Since his departure, flight delays and cancellations have cascaded at the airport due to the temporary ground-stop and airspace restrictions the FAA requires when presidential aircraft are departing from commercial airports. At the time of this posting, the average delay at the airport was more than two hours. But to be fair, for years Presidents have caused ATC delays when visiting cities.
Is anyone experiencing long delays while attempting to fly into or out of LGA today? Let us know in the comments, below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 03/31/22.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.