This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the best ways to start out your year with regards to qualifying for hotel elite status is with the SPG Amex cards. If you’re a cardholder of either (or both!) the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express or the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express, you’re already starting 2017 off strong with elite-qualifying nights and stays.
One of the lesser-known perks of both of the SPG credit cards is that you get five nights and two stays of elite credit annually toward your status qualification. In effect, if you have both cards, you’ll get four stays and 10 nights directly toward qualifying for elite status — 20% of the way toward Platinum status without spending even one night in a hotel.
SPG Platinum status requires 25 stays or 50 nights, and you can earn late checkout, room upgrades and complimentary club access, among other benefits. By starting the year off with complimentary nights and stays from the SPG Amex cards, you could be well on your way to achieving status with SPG. For the bonus night and stay credits, the $95 annual fee (for both cards) can be entirely worth it. As a reminder, each card comes with a sign-up bonus of 25,000 points after you spend $3,000 in the first three months with the personal card and $5,000 in the first three months with the business card.
To read more on this perk, read TPG’s post on how he starts the year off strong with SPG.
Featured image courtesy of the St. Regis Bora Bora.
- Earn 75,000 Bonus Points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Earn 6 points for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels and 2 points on all other eligible purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 points) at a participating hotel. Select hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy complimentary, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi on up to four devices at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees