This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the best ways to start out your year with regards to qualifying for hotel elite status is with the SPG Amex cards. If you’re a cardholder of either (or both!) the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express or the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express, you’re already starting 2017 off strong with elite-qualifying nights and stays.
One of the lesser-known perks of both of the SPG credit cards is that you get five nights and two stays of elite credit annually toward your status qualification. In effect, if you have both cards, you’ll get four stays and 10 nights directly toward qualifying for elite status — 20% of the way toward Platinum status without spending even one night in a hotel.
SPG Platinum status requires 25 stays or 50 nights, and you can earn late checkout, room upgrades and complimentary club access, among other benefits. By starting the year off with complimentary nights and stays from the SPG Amex cards, you could be well on your way to achieving status with SPG. For the bonus night and stay credits, the $95 annual fee (for both cards) can be entirely worth it. As a reminder, each card comes with a sign-up bonus of 25,000 points after you spend $3,000 in the first three months with the personal card and $5,000 in the first three months with the business card.
To read more on this perk, read TPG’s post on how he starts the year off strong with SPG.
Featured image courtesy of the St. Regis Bora Bora.
- Earn a $100 statement credit after you make $1,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn an additional $100 statement credit after your first purchase on the Card at a participating SPG® or Marriott Rewards® hotel within your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- From now through July 31, 2018: Earn 2 Starpoints® for every dollar of eligible purchases on the Card at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint for all other eligible purchases.
- On August 1, 2018, SPG will convert every one Starpoint in a loyalty member account to three points. In general, corresponding redemption changes will occur. Visit members.marriott.com for details.
- Effective August 1, 2018: Earn 6 points for every dollar of eligible purchases on the Card at participating SPG and Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 2 points for all other eligible purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Earn free nights at over 1,500 hotels and resorts in over 100 countries with no blackout dates. Some hotels may have mandatory service and resort charges.
- Enjoy complimentary, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi on up to four devices at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees